( SOLVED) Linux Mint BCM4311 on Inspiron 1501

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1Kingpenguin

( SOLVED) Linux Mint BCM4311 on Inspiron 1501

Post by 1Kingpenguin »

If you are having trouble getting the wifi icon to light up, or to even work, here is what I had to do to make it work
(as an fyi, mintwifi command resulted in the following:

-----------------------------------
* I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
-- Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
==> PCI ID = 14e4:4311 (rev 01)
-------------------------
* II. querying ndiswrapper...
-------------------------
* III. querying iwconfig...so
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

using synaptic package manager, I then searched for bcmwl-kernel-source and did a COMPLETE removal.
when that was finished, I searched for b43 and marked b43-fwcutter for installation, and applied it.
finally, I searched for b43 again, and this time installed firmware-b43-installer (not the legacy installer), then apply again.
I rebooted, went directly into BIOS setup, disabled the wireless device and the wireless hotkey, hit F10, rebooted again,
then went back into BIOS setup, and re-enabled both the wireless device and the wireless hotkey.

F10===>REBOOT===>SUCCESS!

I hope this helps. for some reason, you have to disable and then enable the bios settings for the wireless to reset the device in order for it to use the correct drivers.

:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DT5534

Re: ( SOLVED) Linux Mint BCM4311 on Inspiron 1501

Post by DT5534 »

You sir are the best.
I have been fighting with loading Mint17 on a Dell Inspiron 1520 containing a Broadcom 4311 wifi card. It worked fine in Mint 14 but would not work with 17. This solution work to a T.

Thank You

Return to “Networking”