Shaky wifi Mint 17.1 and netgear WPN111

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RWoodhams

Shaky wifi Mint 17.1 and netgear WPN111

Post by RWoodhams »

I have installed Linux Mint 17.1 on a really old IBM Thinkpad running a Pentium processor. It has no inherent wifi so I have connected a Netgear WPN111 USB dongle to the only USB port.
The problem is that while the system identifies and (usually) connects to my wifi on startup, it drops off within ten minutes or so. I try to reconnect and occasionally it works, more usually it either will not connect , or I cannot find my wifi network in the connections list. When I go to edit connections, my wifi is there, but I cant connect from there.

I had previously used Ubuntu (I think version 8) on this old laptop, and with the help of ndiswrapper the wifi worked fine using the same WPN111.

I realise that someone may ask me for a readout, but I am really inexperienced with Linux and I don't know how to get the readout from my laptop to another device which is effectively connected to the internet. This also means I cant download updates. I cant even connect a network cable because the laptop dosnt have a standard Ethernet socket.
HELP!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Shaky wifi Mint 17.1 and netgear WPN111

Post by JeremyB »

Can you run

Code: Select all

lsusb
in terminal and just copy what is returned with a computer with an internet connection, the important part are the 8 digits following ID that are seperated by a colon? Since it is trying to connect it might mean that a linux driver could work with the right parameters. I have no faith in anything that needs ndiswrapper and I would rather get a different USB wifi dongle from thinkpenguin.com

Return to “Networking”