Linux Mint 17.1 Adobe Flash Crash; No Internet [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mchain

Linux Mint 17.1 Adobe Flash Crash; No Internet [SOLVED]

Post by mchain »

Relevant details:
  • 17.1 Rebecca LTS fresh install 5/1/2015 on Cruzer USB 2.0 16 GB flash drive
    All security updates current
    Admin/standard accounts created
-Firefox is default browser (37.0.2)

-Extensions installed:
  • Disconnect 3.15.3
    uBlock 0.9.1.0
    WOT 20131118
-Default extensions Mint Search Enhancer and Stylish are disabled.

-Successfully installed ndiswrapper from Ubuntu and additional kernel files. On internet at the moment using Rebecca.

-Running Adobe Flash (Shockwave Flash version 11.2.202.457) and then stopping playback will consistently result in failure to retrieve web content afterwards. Doesn't matter if refresh is on same tab or if I go to new sites. Resuming playback of adobe file will always fail.
-Closing and restarting Firefox will result in no change in web content retrieval.
-Internet connection is active and connected but no web traffic is seen in System Monitor after adobe crash.

-Only workaround is to restart system. Once that is done, full connectivity is in place until the next time an adobe flash file is played and then manually stopped.

-Preference is HTML5 player whenever possible.

-Model of wireless usb adapter: Netgear N300 WNA3100. Networking setup is as WPA-WPA2 wireless.

-Issues not present in Windows 7 system. USB flash drive setup is so a dual-boot system is not necessary, but I can still use the same hardware in both operating systems on the same machine. (But not at the same time.)

Question is, is this a wireless issue or does this have more to do with Adobe Flash?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mchain

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 Adobe Flash Crash; No Internet [SOLVED]

Post by mchain »

Hello.

I think we can mark this as SOLVED. Issue was with Linux Mint ndiswrapper trying to connect via IPv6 and establishing such as an address on home network, whereas the dsl modem, Q1000, is older and forces use of teredo wrapper to access IPv6 via IPv4.

So the IP address is now known as an IPv4 address and is established and is much more stable than it was before this settings change was made in the Linux Mint Network Settings applet. Change was made to IPv6 to Automatic-DHCP only. Change was from default setting Automatic. Apparently the default was to connect via IPv6, which didn't work very well on this older system and network.

That was all it took to fix.

It wasn't Shockwave Flash. It did appear to be that as it would stall/crash in mid-stream or if stopped manually, but the wireless connection was live and connected. Just no streaming data after the dsl modem lost track of the wireless adapter.

Took a few days and a bit of poking around a new operating system to find this default setting.

Thought I'd share the findings.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I've been having a similar problem of late. LM 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit, with Firefox. Firefox would "hang" (fail to connect with Internet) after a short while on a Flash-enabled page, forcing a reboot to reestablish connectivity. Main router is an older 2Wire gateway from AT&T.

Apparently, this has fixed the issue, at least for now. Thanks a heap for your efforts, mchain-- this was really starting to get on my nerves!
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
mchain

Post by mchain »

Glad to hear the good news, with a caveat, tho.

Issue seemed to be caused by Shockwave Flash, but after awhile, (numerous crashes while streaming video) I thought the truer cause was an unknown and undetected exploit running in Firefox related to Shockwave. Symptom always was connection was live and active, but no web data or content was either coming in or going out. Sometimes this would happen after only two or three minutes online.

Another possible cause would be a firewall block triggered by Shockwave.

I didn't have the time or patience to track this second possibility down, as I, alas, moved over to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32-bit and used the same 16 GB Flash drive to run it from. If it doesn't work well, time to move on.

CAT6 connection presented no issues at all.

Rebooting the system was the only workaround to regain wireless web streaming, tho.

Return to “Networking”