Trouble accessing WD My Cloud NAS

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meddyuk

Trouble accessing WD My Cloud NAS

Post by meddyuk »

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that you can help. I've searched google but cannot find a suitable solution to my problem.

I'm running Linux Mint 17 and accessing my WD 2TB NAS is mostly hit and miss from the laptop. Usually i would open the file system and click on Network and the NAS is sometimes there and sometimes isn't. When the NAS is shown as a network drive then i can access it ok. However, more often than not the only folder that is shown in Network is Workgroup. If i try and open workgroup it asks me for a user name and password. I have put in my root name and password but that doesn't work.

Is there a way that i can continually access my NAS from the file system?

Cheers all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trouble accessing WD My Cloud NAS

Post by altair4 »

NAS devices are unnecessarily complicated because the software they use seems to be archaic. My success rate helping folks with samba and NAS isn't very high in this forum so all I can offer is some suggestions.
Usually i would open the file system and click on Network and the NAS is sometimes there and sometimes isn't. When the NAS is shown as a network drive then i can access it ok.
When it works it seems to work without incidence so it appears to be a name resolution error. I personally would do one of the following:

*** Give the NAS a static ip address which according to the user manual I just downloaded you can do on the NAS itself. Then instead of browsing for it access it directly in a terminal. For example:

Code: Select all

nemo smb://192.168.0.105/public
Then bookmark it ( Bookmark > Add bookmark ) when nemo opens up to that location. Then use the bookmark to access it in the future.

*** According to the manual it understands mDNS to be compatible with Apple's OSX. Linux can speak mDNS as well so instead of using an ip address you can access it by an mDNS qualified host name like this:

nemo smb://WDMyCloud.local/public
Don't forget the ".local" at the end. That's the magic that makes this work.

Then bookmark that.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
meddyuk

Post by meddyuk »

Thanks for the reply.

When i type your first solution i get the following: I'm presuming i have the right IP address, used by scanning my network

~ $ nemo smb://10.0.0.82

(nemo:29684): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:65:17: Theming engine 'unico' not found
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Since I've never seen that error message before run the low level command to bypass nemo:

gvfs-mount smb://10.0.0.82/public
You have to specify the share since you can't mount a server only it's share.

You should see a mount icon on your desktop.
gvfs-mount.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
meddyuk

Post by meddyuk »

Ok. So here is the strange thing. I did a scan of my network using Zenmap (Nmap) just to get the IP address of the NAS. It seems that when doing this is sort of prompted Nautilus to say "ah yes i remember now". Because as soon as i finished the scan the NAS appears in Network. I immediately bookmarked the link and i can now open that to access my public drives.

So far so good. I'm going to give it a week or so to see if it behaves. Now i can get round to the arduous task to sorting the music libary. :roll:

Return to “Networking”