Connecting to a smartphone hotspot [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Connecting to a smartphone hotspot [SOLVED]

Post by ingeva »

I purchase a "smart"phone so I could get a hotspot option while travelling, since many of the places I visit have mobile connectivity but no WiFi.
The phone is a Huawei Ascend A520, running Android.
Seriously, I don't think it is very smart. :(

I set up the hotspot and defined WPA2 PSK and password. The computer (running Linux Mint 17.2) connects, but there's no data transfer.
The phone has a WPS setting that insists of selecting WPS PIN or Push button, but I can't find any setting for that in the Network Manager, nor any description anywhere. It can't find a way to disable the WPS function. Also, my router at home does not have a WPS button, but functions just fine without it.

I connected successfully to another smartphone hotspot.

I have also tried an USB connection, but no luck.
Ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Connecting to a smartphone hotspot

Post by Pierre »

ideas ? well - have done that & it did work, but was dependent on how well the 3g sig was,
- when it didn't work, it was usually the setup was wrong on the smartphone.

same applies to using the usb cable, for a connection.
- the issue is generally with the smartphone, not the PC.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

Pierre wrote:ideas ? well - have done that & it did work, but was dependent on how well the 3g sig was,
- when it didn't work, it was usually the setup was wrong on the smartphone.

same applies to using the usb cable, for a connection.
- the issue is generally with the smartphone, not the PC.
I'm working on it. I suspect that the SIM card I used did not have the proper subscription for data, but I'll check some more. I have also downloaded a firmware upgrade for the phone, so maybe that will help. Buying a new phone in Uganda may not have been the smartest thing I have done, but I don't need 4G or anything fancy. I just like to have the possibility to access the net when I'm travelling and there's no WiFi around.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

ingeva wrote:I'm working on it. I suspect that the SIM card I used did not have the proper subscription for data, but I'll check some more. I have also downloaded a firmware upgrade for the phone, so maybe that will help. Buying a new phone in Uganda may not have been the smartest thing I have done, but I don't need 4G or anything fancy. I just like to have the possibility to access the net when I'm travelling and there's no WiFi around.
I think you are right about the problem being the phone, because I have connected to the hotspot of another phone earlier.
The most important reason why I purchased a "smart" phone (I don't think they are smart at all; they are not very user friendly) was to get the hotspot. Without it it's almost worthless to me except for the ability to make phonecalls. I couldn't care less about "apps" or games or surfing with that tiny screen.
I have finally gotten the new SIM card, and the problem persists. The phone insists on choosing either WPS PIN or WPS push-button and there's no way to ignore it, but the PC has no such option.

Oh ... I haven't figured out how to perform the firmware upgrade yet. I can't find it neither in the menus nor in the manual.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Connecting to a smartphone hotspot [SOLVED]

Post by ingeva »

ingeva wrote:Oh ... I haven't figured out how to perform the firmware upgrade yet. I can't find it neither in the menus nor in the manual.
The above is still true, but I'm working on it.

I finally made the WiFi hotspot work, but what did the trick I really can't say. However, it happened after I switched off the WiFi om my home router, which gave me better control.
I have NOT tried the USB connection yet, but that's less important now. I may try it because it may be somewhat faster.

[flame]I can't stop being amazed over why these "smart" phones have become so popular. To me they appear as complicated, dumb tools that require too much time figuring out how to make them work (And this is not only mine; my wife has an iphony, and it's not better). Something like Windows; made for people who need something to waste their time with. I already regret buying it. My old phone, without even a camera, but with a calendar and contact list and ability to make calls and send/receive text messages, was soooo much simpler, completely sufficient - and had an easy-to-read screen without any silly scrolling. I hate scrolling, and I hate the touch-screen. Anyone who has pointed at the screen where he shouldn't, knows what I'm talking about. Maybe it's because I'm left-handed. When I need to point to the screen, what I'm looking at is being covered. [/flame]

When will the Mint phone be available? :)

Return to “Networking”