Cannot Connect 128 Bit WEP Network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bascotie

Cannot Connect 128 Bit WEP Network

Post by Bascotie »

Hello everyone,

I have had this issue before with Ubuntu and was unable to solve it but this time I would like to get it working on Mint.

*Note: I CANNOT change the encryption as this is a work router and I do not want to bug my boss to change the encryption type*

I am trying to connect to a 128 Bit encrypted wireless network. I can connect to the network but I cannot connect to the internet. I've tried using another wireless utility as well that I saw recommended on another forum (through a google search).

Anyone know how to establish not only a local connection, but also an internet connection through 128 WEP? Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cannot Connect 128 Bit WEP Network

Post by Boo »

if you can connect to the wireless network and see your local intranet or network then it is most likely you have to go through a proxy server to access the internet.
So first you need the proxy server info and then enter it into firefox and/or your network setup.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Bascotie

Post by Bascotie »

Boo wrote:if you can connect to the wireless network and see your local intranet or network then it is most likely you have to go through a proxy server to access the internet.
So first you need the proxy server info and then enter it into firefox and/or your network setup.

Boo
Sorry I was just guessing that it was a local connection, I may not even be able to see the local network.

This DSL line is our own private IT DSL line with no restrictions so I believe the problem has to do with something else. I can connect using Windows XP/Vista/7 fine.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Bascotie wrote:This DSL line is our own private IT DSL line with no restrictions so I believe the problem has to do with something else. I can connect using Windows XP/Vista/7 fine
I was going to say your boss doesn't want you to use the Internet ?
--and yet you can't see the router's configuration ?

However, since you can connect via your windows desktop at work ?
--then check its configuration and match IP #s' etc in Linux, if there are no restrictions or specific desktop clients needed, it should be able to connect..

Finally it could be the SSL encryption method being used by the router, which is ?

The usual checks..
In the Terminal
  • Linux..
    ifconfig
    iwconfig wireless-dev
    iwlist wireless_dev scan
    Windows..
    ipconfig
http://en.kioskea.net/contents/configur ... eseau.php3
http://commandwindows.com/netsh.htm
Bascotie

Post by Bascotie »

DrHu wrote:
Bascotie wrote:This DSL line is our own private IT DSL line with no restrictions so I believe the problem has to do with something else. I can connect using Windows XP/Vista/7 fine
I was going to say your boss doesn't want you to use the Internet ?
--and yet you can't see the router's configuration ?

However, since you can connect via your windows desktop at work ?
--then check its configuration and match IP #s' etc in Linux, if there are no restrictions or specific desktop clients needed, it should be able to connect..

Finally it could be the SSL encryption method being used by the router, which is ?

The usual checks..
In the Terminal
  • Linux..
    ifconfig
    iwconfig wireless-dev
    iwlist wireless_dev scan
    Windows..
    ipconfig
http://en.kioskea.net/contents/configur ... eseau.php3
http://commandwindows.com/netsh.htm
haha I'll try some of those commands. Actually the reason my boss setup this private DSL line is so that us two (the only two IT guys) can have an unrestricted path to the internet (so we don't run into Websense all the time). I may just ask him to change the encryption I just didn't wanna bug him about it because he's a little lazier than me but i love 'em lol.

I was googling some similar problems and it looks like this has been an ongoing problem across different Linux distros connecting to a 128bit WEP encrypted network. The funny thing is that it seems to connect just fine but I can't go on the internet.

I'll try running ifconfig and whatnot to see if I get somewhere, I'll copy my settings and try setting a static ip and see if that helps too.
Bascotie

Post by Bascotie »

I'm connected now, we changed the encryption to WPA

Return to “Networking”