Upgrade to Helena ==> Boom

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
digitxp

Upgrade to Helena ==> Boom

Post by digitxp »

Hi everyone (this is my first post to a Linux forum :) ),
I upgraded to Mint 8 the haphazard command-line way (I wanted to keep my apps).
(What I did:
  1. Ran

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    and replaced all occurrences of “gloria” to “helena”, and all occurences of “jaunty” to “karmic”.
  2. Ran this:

apt update; apt install mint-info-main;apt install mint-meta-main;apt upgrade;apt dist-upgrade;apt install mint-meta-main;apt upgrade;apt dist-upgrade;apt install mint-meta-main;
    (as per instructions from the blog)
  3. Rebooted after it was all done.
)
Now all of a sudden, my WiFi doesn't work. There was an icon (the usual network icon) that said "NetworkManager not running".
I searched on Google, then I tried running

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
which caused the network icon to be replaced with a menu that didn't have any wireless networks listed, only VPNs.
I have a Netgear WG311v2 (PCI) and a WG111 (USB).
Any help at all is appreciated (to add density, I backup my USB with Back in Time on it and it's my test computer :lol: ).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ipernar

Re: Upgrade to Helena ==> Boom

Post by ipernar »

When I ran live CD Mint 8 it doesnt recognize USB wifi, Mint 7 does, and I dnt know what to do just like you!

I guess restarting router/modem might work ?

Return to “Networking”