Can't connect to my router.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JaLaRu

Can't connect to my router.

Post by JaLaRu »

I'm pretty new to Linux, I tried it about 6 months ago with Linux Mint 7 on my old laptop and it all worked okay then. But I'm trying Linux 8 on my desktop and I cannot get my USB wireless "dongle" to connect to my router.

When I right click it, both the wired and wireless boxes are ticked but I can't figure out how to make it scan for networks, it just says I am disconnected when I left click the icon.

I have tried a few things, like installing the bcmwl-kernel-source from the package manager and I've tried running mintWifi with no luck too. I've also manually typed in the SSID and the WEP key but there is no option to connect to it.

Please help. :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't connect to my router.

Post by remoulder »

Maybe before you started installing and changing things without knowing why or how, it might have been better to ask here first? :roll: You will need to supply more information about your system in order for us to help, please read the Forum rules in the Red bar at the top.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
MadMac

Re: Can't connect to my router.

Post by MadMac »

Like remoulder pointed out, you need to supply some more info, in order for people to help you: What make/model wireless dongle do you have? Are you using ndiswrapper - Windows Wireless Drivers? Run lsusb from a terminal window and post the results. Also run lspci -vvnn and post the wireless section.

I can replicate the symptoms you describe by unplugging my wireless dongle. Which makes me think maybe you don't have the correct drivers for your dongle installed?

Return to “Networking”