Problems connecting to B&N free wi-fi using Windows laptops

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxGJE

Problems connecting to B&N free wi-fi using Windows laptops

Post by LinuxGJE »

I'm sorry if I broke any rules, I'm still a newbie around Linux, but I assume the Linux community is the most-informed of all OS groups. Sorry if it off topic, but I couldn't find a good answer on Google or YahooAnswers about this problem other than turning your PC off and on (and that may not be the cure) And yes, I know Windows suck at times.[

Hello. I go to Barnes & Noble a few times a week and they offer free wi-fi service there. Now, I'm not having the problem, but I've been asked by two separate people with Windows-based laptops for help connecting to the store's wi-fi.

They are getting on their laptops that the wi-fi signal is there and that there is a connection, however, nothing is happening and the browsers (both IE and Firefox) are getting blank/white pages. So what is causing this? Is it a setting somewhere in the Control Panel? Is it the browsers? The wi-fi hardware ? Or is it the wi-fi service messing up in dealing out IPs or something akin to that?

Just so you know, the wi-fi at the Barnes & Noble does work because I and others around these perplexed people are having it work on our own laptops without fail or delay. Also, I believe the two Windows OS were XP and W7. Please help me learn if possible on this tech-hangup. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problems connecting to B&N free wi-fi using Windows laptops

Post by remoulder »

This is a linux support forum not a Windows one!
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Networking”