Tenda W311U 802.11n WiFi Mystery (well, to me...)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hooya27

Tenda W311U 802.11n WiFi Mystery (well, to me...)

Post by hooya27 »

Hello,

I just this week built a new system, and slapped Mint 8 x64 on it. I had no luck getting my Tenda W311U to work "out of the box". I tried the ndiswrapper thing to use the .inf file in my XP partition, and still nothing. I was about to plod through some rmmod and insmod dialog I found on the interwebs, and began with:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe rt3070sta
After getting a message:

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
I thought I was screwed. But then I got a pop-up by my network manager in the tray, saying I was connected!

Is this magic?

Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Tenda W311U 802.11n WiFi Mystery (well, to me...)

Post by richyrich »

Good for you, man . Image . thanks for sharing. And welcome to the forums . . :)

richy
hooya27

Re: Tenda W311U 802.11n WiFi Mystery (well, to me...)

Post by hooya27 »

More for me than anyone else, but all are welcome, here's an update:

It turns out to be a known bug in Ubuntu 9.10 karmic, and derivatives, that rt2800usb gets loaded in this instance where rt2870sta is required. Thus:

blacklist rt2800usb
needs to be in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and

rt2870sta
will enable the device when added to /etc/modules

Thanks for a great distro (now on four of my four machines!), and thanks for this thread popping up third from the top on Google a day after it was posted.

Now I know where to keep my grocery.list!

hooya27 (at) gmail (period) com

Return to “Networking”