Troubles with wireless on MacBooks in Mint 8

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amuench

Troubles with wireless on MacBooks in Mint 8

Post by amuench »

Hey, I just helped two kids in my dorm dual boot Linux Mint 8 (main) on their Macbooks. I installed the broadcom drivers from the restricted drivers window shortly after installing was finished. After troubles with that, I followed the procedures listed here :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBo ... c#Wireless (AirPort)
to set up their internet, which involved installing the broadcom driver again.

The wireless worked and successfully connected to the internet right after they were installed. Then I reconnected to an ethernet connection so that I could download updates and some programs and whatnot for them. Now, neither of them can connect to wireless networks. They are able to detect them, but the wireless icon just keeps sitting there with only one green light on. Upon reinstalling drivers after this point, the same problem persisted. I have no problems with any internet networks on my Linux Mint boot on my non-mac laptop. I feel like it's a driver issue...anyone know how to remedy this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Troubles with wireless on MacBooks in Mint 8

Post by remoulder »

Can you open a terminal on one of these and run lsmod and also iwconfigthen post the results here.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

amuench wrote:The wireless worked and successfully connected to the internet right after they were installed. Then I reconnected to an ethernet connection ...
Question: is the ethernet connection still plugged in on those machines? If both ethernet and wireless are connected (associated), it will default to the ethernet connection. Wireless is unused until the ethernet connection is removed...
amuench

Post by amuench »

BrianD wrote: Question: is the ethernet connection still plugged in on those machines? If both ethernet and wireless are connected (associated), it will default to the ethernet connection. Wireless is unused until the ethernet connection is removed...
No, it's not. This problem occurs when the ethernet is unplugged
remoulder wrote:Can you open a terminal on one of these and run lsmod and also iwconfigthen post the results here.
Yes, I'll post back with that as soon as I get onto their computers
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Notu sre if this is relevant - my apologies if it isn't check this out:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=36017
and this where the other link is mentioned:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=44561

If I am so far off - I apolgize. That was the issues with Ubuntu and me - cosistently. Glad i found Mint back with Barbara and Bea!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Networking”