Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Postby cor_mann on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Hello,

How do I access the shared folders on my Network Attached Storage device. I would like to be able to access the shares as drives on my Linux OS. Do I mount the shares? I am able to map the shares as Network Drives in Vista, but I can't find the NAS anywhere on my network in Linux Mint.

The NAS is a Buffalo Linkstation Pro, which runs Linux. I'm running Linux Mint 8 KDE Edition.

My goal is to set up an Ampache Server with the audio files hosted on my NAS. Is this possible?

Thanks.
cor_mann
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Postby kwisher on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 am

Sounds like your NAS is using Samba since you can access it from Windows. The easiest way to access a Samba server is to type the following into the Nautilus address bar and then save it as a bookmark. Yo will have to Google for instructions on how to mount the shares during boot or from the cli.

Nautilus command:
Code: Select all
smb://server ip or name
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Postby RedWagon on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:59 pm

A lot of the time Linux won't pick up the host names of other computers on the network. On you Windows box hit super-r, type in cmd then run
ping hostname

(replace hostname iwth the name of your NAS) to get the ip address then try putting
smb://x.x.x.x

(replace the x's with the IP address of yoru NAS) in the address bar of nautilus. Once that loads open a share then bookmark it.

If you want to mount it to a more specific location through the command line try this:
sudo mount -t cifs -o user=username,pass=password //192.168.x.x/share /folder/to/mount/to

cifs doesn't work all the time, so you can also try:
sudo apt-get install smbfs
sudo mount -t smbfs -o user=username,pass=password //192.168.x.x/share /folder/to/mount/to

If your NAS supports FTP you can use that instead, just open a Nautilus window and go to File -> connect to server and fill in all the info.
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Wireless