Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cor_mann

Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Post by cor_mann »

Hello,

How do I access the shared folders on my Network Attached Storage device. I would like to be able to access the shares as drives on my Linux OS. Do I mount the shares? I am able to map the shares as Network Drives in Vista, but I can't find the NAS anywhere on my network in Linux Mint.

The NAS is a Buffalo Linkstation Pro, which runs Linux. I'm running Linux Mint 8 KDE Edition.

My goal is to set up an Ampache Server with the audio files hosted on my NAS. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Post by kwisher »

Sounds like your NAS is using Samba since you can access it from Windows. The easiest way to access a Samba server is to type the following into the Nautilus address bar and then save it as a bookmark. Yo will have to Google for instructions on how to mount the shares during boot or from the cli.

Nautilus command:

Code: Select all

smb://server ip or name
RedWagon

Re: Connect/Mount/MAP Linux-Based NAS

Post by RedWagon »

A lot of the time Linux won't pick up the host names of other computers on the network. On you Windows box hit super-r, type in cmd then run

ping hostname
(replace hostname iwth the name of your NAS) to get the ip address then try putting

smb://x.x.x.x
(replace the x's with the IP address of yoru NAS) in the address bar of nautilus. Once that loads open a share then bookmark it.

If you want to mount it to a more specific location through the command line try this:

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=username,pass=password //192.168.x.x/share /folder/to/mount/to
cifs doesn't work all the time, so you can also try:

sudo apt-get install smbfs
sudo mount -t smbfs -o user=username,pass=password //192.168.x.x/share /folder/to/mount/to
If your NAS supports FTP you can use that instead, just open a Nautilus window and go to File -> connect to server and fill in all the info.

Return to “Networking”