No Wired OR Wired connection, LM8

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rzilla

No Wired OR Wired connection, LM8

Post by rzilla »

Sort-of solved: Didn't have this issue in LM9, so just went ahead and upgraded to 9. I fooled around with the driver though and turns out it properly executes if I change #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash, but I can't imagine why.

Hi guys!

I'm quite new to linux, been using windows since I started using computers, which was less than 10 years ago to give you an idea of my age. I'm pretty good with computers in that I can read detailed instructions and follow them without being confused by the lingo, so I usually do the troubleshooting for my family and I.

I'm super excited for linux mint 9, and I've decided to replace windows 7 with it when it's released (going to install it on my current linux partition just to test if this internet problem's still present in LM9). Anyway, when I installed LM8, and even when I tried the live CD, there was no internet connection. I use a wired connection, and there's quite a few wifi hotspots around me and my laptop couldn't detect anything at all, which tells me its a driver problem. I went to the mintiWifi wiki page and followed the instructions, found the driver for my card is NOT included, went to Marvell Yukon and got the driver for the 88E8072 card, and long story short got impatient and installed openSuSE -_-

Unfortunately openSuSE had the same problem, and I was sick of restarting my laptop to get on windows 7 and look for solutions, then restart again to LM8/openSuSE and try the solution, so now I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, with the internet up and running.

With LM8, I think I almost had it - the first line of install.sh was #!/bin/sh and I think I needed to change it to #!/bin/bash, but I'd already gotten fed up at that point. I STILL really want to use LM8 though, so, finally, HERE'S my question!

Can I take the .inf driver file from ubuntu, chuck it on my usb, install LM8, and put it in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/drivers? Would it work? If so, where do I find the driver in Ubuntu for my network card?

Sorry for all that text, just wanted to give a little background info. And thanks :)

EDIT: I just put on the LM8 Live CD, and tried installing the driver from Marvel's website and got it to work by changing #!/bin/bash as I'd said earlier, and it asked me what I wanted to do with the alternative driver! Does this mean LM8 does have my driver, but it isn't activated? Very confused at this point.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: No Wired OR Wired connection, LM8!

Post by beefstu »

Did you try going to restricted hardware (possibly called hardware drivers) in mint menu to see if the driver for your card is in there?

Bash files starting #!/bin/sh should work fine in mint, either right-click --> properties then tick allow excuting then double click on it, or better; cd to the location of the script in the terminal then

Code: Select all

./NameOfScript.sh
that way you also get the output in the terminal from it.

Return to “Networking”