I can't get my wireless internet to work.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keytarcaster

I can't get my wireless internet to work.

Post by Keytarcaster »

Hey, guys. I decided to try out Linux this morning, and I've been having trouble getting my wireless internet to work. I tried Ubuntu at first, but now I'm trying Mint. So, here's the deal. Most of the time, my computer doesn't even recognize my router. It does show up sometimes, however, but when I try to connect and enter my password, it just ends up asking my password again. I know I'm entering the correct password, so i don't know why it won't connect. Also, I did get the wireless to work once, but that was after I had a wired connection plugged in, and was only a foot away from the router. When, I took it upstairs where my room is, it wouldn't connect any more. My laptop with Windows 7 works perfectly in my room, however, so does anyone know what I can do to fix this pesky problem? I look forward to solving this problem so i can see what Linux has to offer.

My wireless adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lvleph

Re: I can't get my wireless internet to work.

Post by lvleph »

This could be a driver issue for your wireless card. We would need to know more about your wireless card. Can you open a terminal (you can find this program in the mintmenu) and type in

Code: Select all

lspci
and then post the result here?

Most likely the solution will be

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-'uname -r'
in the same terminal window.
Keytarcaster

Post by Keytarcaster »

Here you go.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 10)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
04:01.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
lvleph

Post by lvleph »

What I have read is that if you plugin the ethernet cable then update linux mint it should fix the problem.
Keytarcaster

Post by Keytarcaster »

I tried that, but I may have updated the wrong thing or I might have stopped it before it finished. I think it froze or something while updating.
lvleph

Post by lvleph »

If connect using ethernet cable and then open terminal and type

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
this will update your comp. The other way is to click the shield which appears next to your clock.
Keytarcaster

Post by Keytarcaster »

I updated my computer, but I don't think much changed. I also just noticed that i don't have any sound. Could that be related to my wireless problem?
lvleph

Post by lvleph »

Most lilkely not related. I would suggest going to the Ubuntu forums, there are many more people there that can help.
I do think typing

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-'uname -r'
in terminal will solve the wireless issue though.
Stennie

Post by Stennie »

Try installing the windows xp driver...
lvleph

Post by lvleph »

Yes, that is also an option. Use ndiswrapper and install the XP driver. You can download that driver from the companies website. You can find the program to install that driver under administration in the mint menu.
Keytarcaster

Post by Keytarcaster »

I tried doing what you said, but the driver comes in an .exe file, but the application wants an .inf.
lvleph

Post by lvleph »

Okay, I guess I got a little confused. You are trying to connect the Zonet USB Wireless adapter. However, you output from lspci shows an onboard wireless card. Do you have a onboard wireless? If so why are you using the USB? I am sorry I should have paid more attention.

The following guide will help you with the wireless listed on lspci
http://www.physics.nmt.edu/~rsonnenf/li ... 2561-rt61/
This is an old how to, so it may not actually work.

Give me some more information about your wireless (answer the questions about usb and all that) and I will do my best to help you.
Keytarcaster

Post by Keytarcaster »

Wow, thanks for reminding me about that card. That was an old wireless card I used when i had Windows XP. I had to buy the wireless adapter when I upgraded to Windows 7, so I forgot all about the wireless card. The wireless card worked as soon as I plugged the antenna in, so my problem has been taken care of. Once again, thanks for your help.

Return to “Networking”