wireless enabled by radio kill switch? SOLVED!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katej

wireless enabled by radio kill switch? SOLVED!

Post by katej »

First off ... Help!
I'm using Linux Mint 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. (more info to follow as im not on my laptop now and can't get wireless card specifics) I initially got my wireless/bluetooth working, however a few nights ago I was in the terminal and looking to close Rhythmbox when I accidently used a "kill" command and terminated something important. Not only do my wireless functions not work on the Linux side they also don't work on the Windows side now! Does any one know how to reactivate (?) my wireless functions? Please help if you can. Thank you!

okay I think it has something to do with this message I got in the log file viewer:
May 29 20:50:24 Katej-laptop NetworkManager: <info> wireless now enabled by radio kill switch
May 29 20:50:28 Katej-laptop NetworkManager: <info> Found radio Killswitch rfkill1 (at /sys/devices/virtual/rfkill/rfkill1) (driver <unknown>)
May 29 20:50:35 Katej-laptop NetworkManager: <info> wireless now disabled by radio kill switch

I also just ran in the terminal: rfkill list and got this
0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
soft blocked: No
Hard blocked: Yes

1: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
soft blocked: no
hard blocked: Yes

what does that mean???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Losgann

Re: Terminal wireless accident

Post by Losgann »

i don't know why a mistake in wireless configuration in Linux would make your hardware not work under Windows, but when you get a chance to get back on your laptop, what happens when you type "iwconfig" in a terminal? Does your wireless connection show up?
katej

Re: wireless enabled by radio kill switch?

Post by katej »

lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 IEEE 802.11 Nickname: ""
Access Point: Not-Associated

eth1_rename no wireless extensions
katej

Post by katej »

also how do you turn the kill switch on/off? I read somewhere that for a dell computer you can press fn + F2 but that didn't work for me...
katej

Post by katej »

Figured it out. The switch was off on my laptop. I'm a ditz. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Networking”