Strange wifi problem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Strange wifi problem

Post by tdockery97 »

I have an HP laptop with the Atheros 9285 wifi adapter. No problem getting the wifi to work on Mint 9 main. My issue is this - I am dual booting with
Windows 7 home premium. The first of each month I have to log into my wifi provider with the new passcode for the month. If I log in using Mint, then my download speeds are retarded to about 540kbps using Mint, but the speed is 1.4mbps on Windows 7. If i log in using Windows, then the fast speed is in Mint. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? If so, any suggestions. I have tried the rc.local entry "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M, and some other things to no effect. For the time being, I keep windows on the computer just for logging in so that Mint will have the faster d/l speed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
bob5

Re: Strange wifi problem

Post by bob5 »

hi

-my-be you need to update the driver in windows ?

-
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I tried updating the driver and that didn't help. And it works the other way too. If I log in from Mint, then mint has slow speed and windows is high speed. I feel that the problem must be not with my computer, but with how the wifi provider is recognizing my system.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

-yeah could be .

-we did you get the speed of 540kbps form in mint ?

Return to “Networking”