netgear wn111

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brandon00733

netgear wn111

Post by brandon00733 »

New to linux and having problems installing this netgear wn111. can anybody point me in the right direction for installing windows software on linux

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: netgear wn111

Post by beefstu »

The only way you can get SOME windows software to work on linux is through Wine. It's unlikely this will help in this situation. Try going to hardware drivers in mint menu and see if anything useful is there.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

brandon00733 wrote:point me in the right direction for installing windows software on linux
You can install Windows wireless NIC drivers on Linux using Ndiswrapper.

Below are some links to useful tutorials on Ndiswrapper.

NDISwrapper on Ubuntu systems

NdisWrapper: The Ultimate Guide

NDISwrapper on Debian systems

Some Ndiswrapper Video Tutorials

If you find a method that works for you, please share your experience with the community.

mick
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

1. Run installcd/dowload on a friend/work/enemies windows box

2. search for newly installed files or figure out where the driver files were installed. As you learned in the NDIS tutorials you'll need the three files (.inf, .sys and .bin?).

3. copy to USB for use on your mintbox.

4. On windows PC - Format C:\

5. Tranfer the 3 files to a handy location on your linux box and use ndiswrapper to install them (the gui works just as well, don't listen to the die hards).

6. PROFIT!

or....

XP Driver Files are attached. Not sure if these will work on 64 But I'll check tonight.

<EDIT> This Thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=20 has a link to WNDA device drivers which are said to work VERY well, yet to try.

<EDIT 2> This External board has a link to the Atheros Drivers. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... ?tid=17859 Atheros Make the device, netgear put plastic around it and butcher the original driver files until they work on almost nothing. This seems to be different as the atheros drivers seem very similar to the ones for the WDNA.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by euthypro »

What version of Mint are you running? Do you have the CD?

If you are running Mint 9 Gnome, put the device in the USB slot, open Control Center>Windows Wireless Drivers. Click "Install New Driver." If you have the CD, insert it, and you can browse to where the driver is. It may be in a folder named "ndis5" and the driver's name should be "netwpn11.inf" Highlight the file and click "open."

If you don't have the CD, you need to download the driver first. Here is a likely place:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/821

Don't run the installer. Extract if you need to, and find the file "netwpn11.inf" and the ".sys" file by the same name. Copy the two files to a folder in your home. Now go to Control Center>Windows Wireless drivers. Click "Install New Driver." Browse to where you have placed the files. Highlight the ".inf" file and click "open."

You should be done. If no networks showing on Network Manager, try rebooting.

Angel
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

WRT my above post,

I fiddled around with all the different drivers availible for this and for some reason the Vista 64 Drivers work best (on Isadora 64). They actually load properly and recognise the device as being present. It still doesn't work (no networks are visible) but the driver seems to be loaded properly.*

This is confusing.

Also, I thought vista drivers were NDIS6? NDIS wrapper shouldn't even read them.

This is also confusing.

*I think I have a driver conflict according to NDIS Wrapper so I'm learning how to blacklist and then I'll try again. But everytime I solve one problem I find another, so if anyone else knows where to go from here that would be much appreciated....

Return to “Networking”