[SOLVED]Losing Wireless connectivity when using Torrents

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vsmint

[SOLVED]Losing Wireless connectivity when using Torrents

Post by vsmint »

Hi, I am facing a strange problem with my wireless connection,

- Whenever I start any torrent client my wireless connection dies within 5 mins and does not connect till I restart
- Similar problem when I connect through a lan cable; only with torrents though

I find this strange as the connectivity works fine in a windows machine. I am new to Linux and I absolutely Love it; not to mention I don't want to go back to the world of windozeee...

Looking for a solution for this for the past 2 days now. Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Losing Wireless connectivity when using Torrents

Post by JasonLG »

Does your isp block torrents?
vsmint

Post by vsmint »

No. I checked that with a windows machine. Torrents and wireless worked fine in a windows environment. It is only when I open torrents on Mint 9 that I loose wireless and Ethernet connectivity.

- I have tried using 3 different torrent clients on my Linux machine (LM 9) and all have the same problem
- Direct downloads work fine
- Any other browsing works fine too
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Run this test to be sure that your isp is not "traffic shaping" http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparen ... t-mlab.php

Have you tried adjusting the max download and upload speed in the torrent program to below your connection speed? By default they're set to no limit.
vsmint

Post by vsmint »

My connection has a max dnload speed limit. I tried changing the torrent dnload speed below the max allowed by my isp, but it still does not work.

- Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless drivers, but to no avail.

-- The problem is localized to torrent dnloads only... rest works fine.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

vsmint wrote:My connection has a max dnload speed limit. I tried changing the torrent dnload speed below the max allowed by my isp, but it still does not work.

- Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless drivers, but to no avail.

-- The problem is localized to torrent dnloads only... rest works fine.
Does your modem/router crash or just the wireless on your machine?

Did you run the test to see if your isp blocks torrents?
vsmint

Post by vsmint »

Hi Jason

Does your modem/router crash or just the wireless on your machine? // Modem works fine, wireless on machine crashes

Did you run the test to see if your isp blocks torrents? // could not run the test. had problems with jre install - -- Trying to figure out the correct install procedure for jre. Would keep you posted.

Thanks
vsmint

Post by vsmint »

Ran the test. here are the basic results.

Is your upload traffic rate limited?
There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?
There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

// one interesting thing: I tried using Transmission to dnload a different torrent (just on a whim).... and so far it seems to be working fine (almost 2 hrs now). Maybe the problem was localized to the torrents i was trying to dnload earlier!! .... Question is ... can this be done? I mean can someone stop one particular type of torrents from running...such that it impacts the users Internet connection ??
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

vsmint wrote:Ran the test. here are the basic results.

Is your upload traffic rate limited?
There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?
There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

// one interesting thing: I tried using Transmission to dnload a different torrent (just on a whim).... and so far it seems to be working fine (almost 2 hrs now). Maybe the problem was localized to the torrents i was trying to dnload earlier!! .... Question is ... can this be done? I mean can someone stop one particular type of torrents from running...such that it impacts the users Internet connection ??
The only way I'm aware of to stop someone from downloading a torrent is to stop seeding it. And I'm not aware of a way to kill someones internet remotely through a torrent. I would say don't download that torrent, problem solved. That is strange, wish I could be more help.
vsmint

Post by vsmint »

Jason, Thank you very much. I really appreciated your help.

Cheers
bartonprime

Post by bartonprime »

Hi Guys,

having the same problem..., on my windows partition, with no port forwarding or anything, i get perfect torrent downloads at 800kb/s with multiple clients, however on my Linux partition as soon as i start a torrent download it completely stops all net traffic on my entire network, likes is strangling it i have tried five different clients, more then 20 different torrents, port forwarded my modem router to no avail. has anyone got an idea to fix this, i have also tried limiting upload and download limits didn't change thing,

appreciate any help :)
cheers
bartonprime

Post by bartonprime »

re-installed vuze, and port forwarded my modem, didn't work all night and i gave up, next morning woke up and everything was working fine, lol, dont understand it i had restarted both units, tried on various clients and even tried another modem to no avail, but now its perfect *touch wood*
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

bartonprime wrote:re-installed vuze, and port forwarded my modem, didn't work all night and i gave up, next morning woke up and everything was working fine, lol, dont understand it i had restarted both units, tried on various clients and even tried another modem to no avail, but now its perfect *touch wood*
Generally for setting to take effect on a router you have to restart it. I guess I didn't say anything about that because I took for granted that you would know that.

Return to “Networking”