Belkin F7D1101 v1 USB adapter not working SOLVED sort of...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bubba_Smyth

Re: Belkin F7D1101 v1 USB adapter not working

Post by Bubba_Smyth »

Helloooo Vincent! I am writing to you over my wireless connection at home! Thank you again!

Checked this morning and there was no change from what I was seeing at work. No wireless connections in either Wicd or Network Manager. Decided to go for broke. One of two things did the trick 1) in Wicd I told it to "disconnect all", "refresh", (nothing) "refresh" again. 2) or "What the heck. Let's create a wireless connection even though it doesn't show any available." Name, password, enter. Key ring?? Never set up a password as far as I know. Let's try this...

Click on Network Manager and four networks are showing- mine and three neighbors in the middle section. I think I then clicked on mine or it was already listed in the top section.

BTW- Wicd ( Screen shot in real time )
Screenshot.png
Think I might uninstall Wicd just in case that has been part of the problem.

BTW- Did I say thank you?
Bubba_Smyth

Post by Bubba_Smyth »

Guess I've go to change this post to solved even through I have no idea what solved the issue!

I don't see a way to do that. Do they change the status on this forum??
vincent

Post by vincent »

So...everything worked out in the end once you got home and was able to see your own network and your neighbours' network, but you had to manually input the details for your wireless connection? Well, as long as it works, it should be fine. This could be an issue with wicd, so if you want, you could try un-installing it and reverting back to the default Gnome network-manager and see if it works better.

Oh, and you don't need to thank me; you did most of the work, not me. I simply provided you a bit of guidance, that's all. ;)

To change your post to "solved", just edit your first post and change the title.
Bubba_Smyth

Re: Belkin F7D1101 v1 USB adapter not working SOLVED sort of

Post by Bubba_Smyth »

Update-

Well, I uninstalled Wicd and rebooted. Got the keyring request and am writing to you wirelessly again. So I guess all is good!

Funny thing is when everything is working correctly, things are very intuitive ( "Ah, THERE"S the list of wireless connections! ). But when they aren't ( "WHERE"S the list of wireless connections? :shock: ).

I'm writing the Pope..... :mrgreen:
vincent

Post by vincent »

It wouldn't have to be this way if more hardware manufacturers start to seriously support Linux with their devices and peripherals...but that's a totally different issue. You're right, for people whose hardware works out of the box, things are very intuitive, whereas for those unlucky people who are stuck with Windows-only hardware, they often have to jump through a lot of hoops to get things working (and sometimes, in the end, it just doesn't work out).
bhilmers

Post by bhilmers »

I tried a few of these things over the last two days on Julia with minimal success. The adapter worked, but poorly. It wasn't until I found this thread at the Ubuntu forums that I have a perfectly working Belkin F7D1101 Wireless adapter.

Return to “Networking”