wireless ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) configuration

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weslowsk
Level 2
Level 2

wireless ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) configuration

Post by weslowsk »

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to use a wired ethernet connection and share the internet that I get from that with the wireless connection also in my laptop so that any other wireless devices I have (other laptops, ipad, etc.) can use the internet from the original laptop. I read a few older articles on how to do this, and, although the instructions seem clear enough and some of the wizards/steps are the same on my Linux Mint 9, I still can't get another device to successfully connect. Any help would be appreciated...here's what I've done:

Host:
On the panel, I click the network icon and then Create New Wireless Network...
I give it a name (test2) and choose WPA security and put in my passphrase; click Create
It says the connection is established...so far so good!

At this point, I check if it appears in the list of available wireless networks...it does, but it's greyed out. So, I figure I have to edit the connection...
under IPv4 settings, the method is "Shared to other computers". This sounds like what it should be, but the articles I've read suggest it should be "Manual". So, away I go:
address: 192.168.0.2
netmark: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.0.1
dns (google's): 8.8.8.8

So, then I make sure it's connected and it appears it's not...I go to connect to hidden network...find "test2", and connect; I view the connection information and test2 and my eth0 are connected with the test2 settings being as I configured them (manually). "test2" still shows up as greyed out when I browse wireless networks...ok, I guess...as an FYI, to the left of the wireless strength bars and padlock icons on that display, "test2" is the only one that has the icon of the "double monitors", which is the networking icon, I assume, because it is "shared" or something that I created. Anyway, I figure that it's time to try from other devices?

When I fire up laptop #2 (also Linux Mint 9) to connect to "test2", I don't see it in the list of available networks. So, assuming it's hidden, I try that wizard...after trying to connect for seconds/minutes, it fails...it says it needs correct WPA credentials, but that really means it can't find "test2" (I confirmed that by trying to connect to a non-existent SSID (test3) and I got the same error message back.

So, I went back to configuring the new network on the host laptop as "Shared to other computers". I checked the private IP that it automatically assigned me:

as opposed to what I previously configured manually: 192.168.0.2
the subnet mask was left the same.

With that turned on instead of manual, I went to the guest laptop and manually configured a connection to this new SSID (abc). I set the IP to 10.42.43.2 and the gateway to 10.42.43.1.
Now, it connects within a second...but, the bars are all white instead of blue (meaning no connection speed?) and when I try to ping one computer from the other, I get nothing.

I even installed firestarter and told it to "share" the wireless connection using its wizard. I don't know if that's duplicating a step or a necessary step; anyway, it didn't make a difference. I made shut to shut down the firewall and close firestarter to prevent it from interfering with my wireless connectivity/sharing (I don't think it's necessary).

So, if anyone has suggestions or successes sharing the internet on Linux Mint 9 (internet coming in on wired and shared over wireless), please let me know...like I said, I've read a few articles out there...most of them for Ubuntu users and most of the several (3+) years old.

Thanks!

Kevin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marcdilnutt

Re: wireless ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) configuration

Post by marcdilnutt »

Bumpitty bump bump.

I am suffering from exactly the same problem, I have a wired connection at work and want to share it to my iPhone. I have got stuck at the exact same point as the OP.

Return to “Networking”