Mobile Broadband modem not recognised

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Prime Suspect

Mobile Broadband modem not recognised

Post by Prime Suspect »

Hi,

Congratulations on taking something already good and making it even better!

I moved from Ubuntu because I prefer KDE but didn't like Kubuntu. As I work from home I keep two connection accounts, one cable and one wireless, to ensure access should one go down. With Ubuntu, when I plug in my Sony Ericsson MD300 USB modem it's recognised but with Mint not, the mobile broadband tab remains greyed out. Does anyone have experience of connecting with this device and if so how to do it please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mobile Broadband modem not recognised

Post by Midnighter »

Hi, in some cases you need to install usb-moseswitch for some of these devices to work, from memory it's not included with default install, tho I might be mistaken, but pretty sure I had this issue at one point, and needed to grab the usb-modeswitch files, install, log out and back in, reconnect device then it was detected. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Prime Suspect

Post by Prime Suspect »

Thanks a lot for responding. I'm hoping to find out if this actually works for this modem before I do a full install as obviously it will not be possible using a live CD. The MD300 is widely used in Brazil so if anyone reading this can confirm, it will save me a lot of time and trouble :)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

If it worked with Ubuntu, it should work with Mint, as the Main editions of Mint are based/built on Ubuntu. I'd say if it worked in Ubuntu, but not in mInt, you just need to grab the usb-modeswitch files (from any of the corresponding repos), install then, log out, and back in, and it SHOULD work. :)

Just copy the files (2 of them) to a thumbdrive (or other storage) for safe-keeping and then install them after install.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Prime Suspect

Post by Prime Suspect »

This is my point which maybe I didn't make clear. My MD300 modem works fine with Ubuntu but not Kubuntu presumably because of the different network management systems between Gnome and KDE. As it's the KDE Mint I wish to use then I'm hoping something can confirm that they've seen an MD300 connected with it somewhere in which case I'll replace my current system with a full install and then work out how to do it :)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Yes, well, my belief is that Ubuntu may now include these packages in their install, and Kubuntu may leave them out. I don't know, I use Gnome, not KDE, but I'm sure if the network manager has an option for mobile broadband, and it's not seeing it, it's likely just the missing packages. I'm unable to confirm anything else specifically, I can only vouch I had this issue after installing Mint on a machine that had Ubuntiu, and needed the usb-modeswitch to br grabbed seperately before it would work with my usb Vodafone wirelss broadband modem. You can either grab these packages, install while running the livecd , and find out if they help, or keep waiting to see if someone knows more, but my way sounds like you'll get a more definite answer.

Return to “Networking”