Can see wireless network/ Can't connect

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Can see wireless network/ Can't connect

Post by 140 »

Don't laugh when you hear what hardware I'm working with. Linksys WUSB11v4 wireless network adapter. I found the drivers located in my windows partition and imported them into mint via the "windows wireless drivers" option. Mint detects the hardware and the adapter can see my wireless network (along with a half dozen others). I go to edit the network preferences just like I have in two windows machines and two Mac's, but no matter what, it won't connect. (It will when I am booted into XP). Am I correct in assuming that this is not a driver issue? If not then what could it be?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Can see wireless network/ Can't connect

Post by mads »

Suggestion 1: If you haven't already tried it. Left click NetworkManager Applet and choose "Create New Wireless Network...". Write your networks ID, security type and password. Then manually edit your connection settings using the same applet.

Suggestion 2: Turn off your computer. Turn off your wireless router for 30 seconds and then turn it back on. Turn on your computer and try again.

Post by 140 »

I haven't tried suggestion #2. I will try that. Suggestion #1 is the way I have been trying. I have to manually setup, as the network is password protected. I originally setup the network on WEP and have never bothered to change it to WPA, as I live in a pretty rural area with pretty decent neighbors. Anyhow, I enter the SSID and the 26 character password... select all of the options that I originally setup the network with and just wont connect. Eventually the automatic connection times out and the little informative box up at the top right of the screen tells me I am not connected. Duh. Click on the network Icon at the bottom right and I can see my own SSID along with a few of the neighbors, so I know that the OS and NIC are playing well together... or at least I assume so. There are a few options in Mints' network connections that I am not used to seeing the Windows, like 40/128 vs straight 128 bit encryption and a few other choices that I don't have from within XP. Obviously I have to reboot everytime I need to cross info I haven't written down or saved to a txt file that I can bring up in either OS. Kind of a pain! At current, Internet access is the biggest thing holding me back from being able to use Mint full time... aside from a few programs not available in any open source format, that I need every now and again. Thanks again.

Ryan
mads

Post by mads »

For about 2 years ago I used WEP and I remember that I had problems getting connected. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details, but one thing I know for sure and that is that the solution was ridiculously simple. I guess I had to use "WEP 40/128-bit" instead of 128-bit.
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... wrapper%29
You may find this link helpful - worth a shot anyway.
Mint 21.1 64gb Desktop intel 4core i5-2500

Post by 140 »

Well after several months of not tinkering with Mint 9 due to frustration, I finally gave it another go. I am positive that it is not a driver issue now and has more to do with encryption. I have multiple computers connecting in LAN and at least two cannot connect use WPA, but just for the sake of experimenting, I changed my access point over to WPA and tried to connect with the Mint 9 / WUSB11v4 combo again. It connected and began downloading some updates but then dropped the connection. Re-connecting takes a very long time and then the connection will drop again after around 5 minutes. Sometimes it will only last 30 seconds or so. I switched back over to WEP and again will not connect. As I said, I can see quite a few access points but cannot connect. My password for WEP is 26 characters and have selected 40/128 option. I've tried every combination of settings I can to no avail. Upgrading a whole bunch of hardware is just not an option for me right now. Any ideas?

Post by 140 »

Not sure how to edit the topic and put SOLVED on the heading, but... I broke down and bought a different adapter. Linksys WUSB54GV3. Read the forums and blacklisted a few drivers. Wireless now works great!

Return to “Networking”