WLAN USB Stick, which one works 100%?

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

WLAN USB Stick, which one works 100%?

Postby DonTino on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:15 pm

hi all,

I have 2 WLAN USB sticks, d-link dwl 122 and an MSI US54SE II

The d-linkn sticks is recognized by celena but is somehow not able to connect to any WLAN, I tried several times restarted etc, no luck on Celena. It did work on Cassandra however but after a complete new install of Celena, no luck.

The MSI crashes the System once I plugged it in.

so I'm just tired of it and want to buy me an USB WLAN Connector Stick that actually works 100% and foolproof.

Any recommandations?

thanks a lot

Tino
DonTino
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

wireless usb antanna

Postby micpet on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:50 am

I don't know if this will help you Tino, but here goes. A little background. I have an old desktop in my office/workshop. It is located some 60 feet from the main house and my Linksys router. My lapttop works fine in all ubuntu based OS's. On the desktop I use a wpn-111 usb antenna from netgear. To get it to operate and be recognized I had to use the widows wireless driver manager. This is available in 7.10 systems don't know about earlier versions.

I put the cd for the usb in tower. when the box showing the packages opened I right clicked on the cd id in the left corner of the open box and dragged and dropped to desktop. Desktop reads all the files.

Clear away the box.

Start the window wirless driver manager from admin list.

Open cd file on desktop and drag .inf file to the wwd box. Make sure usb is plugged in. If succesful/right .inf file, box will show driver, hardware present. It should be picked up. If you have a password you will be prompted for it.

Thats it.

If you have any additional probs, let me know. There can be one or two headaches but there are workarounds on the web.

Good luck.
micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WLAN USB Stick, which one works 100%?

Postby telenux on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:12 am

DonTino wrote:so I'm just tired of it and want to buy me an USB WLAN Connector Stick that actually works 100% and foolproof.

Any recommandations?

thanks a lot

Tino

I suggest a usb wlan stick that has a zd1211b chipset. I bought one that was 'refurbished' (i.e. cheap) and discovered it works 'out of the box' (if one can say that) with a few distros. I tested with Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10 and Kubuntu (both Feisty and Gutsy). I also tested with Fedora 8 (Testing 3) but I had other issues with Fedora (but will wait until the final release to try it out again). I only ran into issues when trying Debian Etch. I think my problems there might be related to the older kernel but I'm not sure. One could probably get it to work even in Etch but I didn't want to spend the time configuring/testing/debugging.

USB sticks with the 1211b chipset use the 1211rw driver and supposedly the driver is precompiled into the kernel.

In some distros, I think you have to install the firmware?:
apt-get install zd1211-firmware

But, I found in Kubuntu/Ubuntu, it worked without much effort. You might have to enter your router's info (ESSID info etc.). I was able to use WPA. I haven't tested in Mint so far, though.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Wireless