[Solved] Mint 10 on Vostro 3500. Can't open any websites

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
samuemx

[Solved] Mint 10 on Vostro 3500. Can't open any websites

Post by samuemx »

Hello,

I've just installed Linux Mint 10 in my Dell Vostro 3500 and everything is fine but my Internet conection. after installing Mint I have to install an additional driver for my wireless card. I installed from the Control Center and the driver is "Broadcom STA". It says: "These package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driverfor use with Broadcom's BCM4311, BCM4312, BCM4321, and BSM4322 based hardware".

The wireless is now working fine. I found my Network and could connect and the strenght of the signal is 100%. The problem is that I can't open any website or do the updates or download software from the Software Center. I'm connected but don't have Internet signal. I've another two computers, one with Mint 9 and one with Mint 10 and both works just fine.

Any help would be apreciated.

PS, Sorry for grammar but english is not my first language.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
unexistance

Re: Mint 10 on Vostro 3500. Can't open any websites

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

Can you open a terminal, then run below command

Code: Select all

ping google.com
Regards,
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Sometimes Broadcom drivers install fine but are either soft or hard blocked. No idea why, but it happens sometimes. This may not be your issue, but easy enough to try.

sudo rfkill unblock all
Then see if it works.

Have you tried any other browsers? Firefox sometimes grinds to a halt because of IPv6 being enabled, even when the network manager has it disabled. If this only happens in Firefox, in case you didn't try another browser, in the address block of Firefox do

about:config
and search for network.dns.disableIPV6 then set it to true by double clicking it.

Also check to see if you can ping as stated above.
samuemx

Post by samuemx »

Thank you guys for your answers.

The problem is solved now. I ran the updates using Ethernet and after that the wireless worked fine. Also, FWIW the drivers were not blocked in any form.

It wasn't a Firefox thing because I couldn't ran the updates using wifi either.

Regards,

Return to “Networking”