Another wireless problem ,Acer Aspire 1830T [solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slingshot

Another wireless problem ,Acer Aspire 1830T [solved]

Post by slingshot »

Hi,

Just installed linux mint 10 and of course I have some problems with the wireless. Tried to search the forums but could not really find any answers so I hope someone here is able to help me. I am completely new to linux so please keep it simple. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 1830T. Wireless chipset: Broadcom BCM43225

When I use the Broadcom STA wireless driver the following problem occurs: Every time I reboot or the computer is started from hibernating, I have to remove and re-activate the driver in order to make the wireless work. Think I managed to blacklist the generic wireless driver but that did not help either. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

So I decided to ditch the Linux Broadcom driver and use the windows driver. It just created a different problem. The wireless chipset is not active and I can not switch it on. My old computer had a physical switch but this one has a key combination that does not work in Linux. Any ideas how I can switch the wireless on? Nothing in the boot menu as far as I can see.

Really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks and regards,
Kristian

Just adding some system information:
System: Host Slingshot-1830T Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint 10 Julia
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 U 380 (-HT-MCP-) cache 3072 KB flags (lm sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips 5319.5
Clock Speeds: (1) 666.00 MHz (2) 666.00 MHz (3) 666.00 MHz (4) 666.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 Broadcom BCM43225 802.11b/g/n driver wl BusID: 02:00.0
Card-2 Atheros AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver atl1c v: 1.0.0.2-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 01:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (1.3% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS54503 320.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 105G used: 4.0G (4%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 4.89GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: 35.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 187 Uptime 1:04 Memory 546.0/2754.5MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.12
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Another wireless problem ,Acer Aspire 1830T

Post by TBABill »

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspire1830T

TONS of info on exactly what you described (power management issues with the Acer Aspire 1830T) and topics on just about every other aspect of the machine for configuration on Ubuntu.
slingshot

Post by slingshot »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The information about the 1830T looks very useful. Think I have solved the problem. Will check later when I get home and hopefully I can mark this thread as solved.

Kristian
slingshot

Post by slingshot »

The combination driver and chipset do not like my D-Link DI-524 wireless router. Tried the computer on a couple of other wireless network and it worked perfect. Guess it is not such a big deal to re activate the driver in order to make the wireless work at home. If anyone has ideas regarding this issue, please let me know...

Will try to make the windows driver work as an option. Thanks TBABill for your help!

Regards,
Kristian
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

No problem. Wish I knew more to help, but it sounds a bit challenging with that particular model for some reason. Did you try changing security settings on the router to perhaps just open (without encryption) and then maybe move to WEP, then WPA? I wonder if a gradual progression from least to most could point to where the weakness lies?
slingshot

Re: Another wireless problem ,Acer Aspire 1830T [Solved}

Post by slingshot »

My wireless is up and running. Upgrading the firmware on the wlan router did the trick!! No problem with mint 10. As a bonus I have lots of experience with the mint OS now :-)

Regards,
Kristian

Return to “Networking”