Getting back to Mint

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
77yearold

Getting back to Mint

Post by 77yearold »

I know the kind people out there might offer all sorts of realistic options I only plead with you to consider my comprehension challenges.
New PC, win 7 and for whatever reason absolute inability to burn an ISO that works. So what I did was insert a Mint 7 live CD that I
burned with my old PC I no longer have. It dual boots (this PC wireless) but mint not on line.
Can someone provide resource to get this old version on line and can it be updated at that point. Please no VB or unenbootin options.
Not being a smart a-- just cannot handle it.
Critically frustrated old man :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lauren

Re: Getting back to Mint

Post by lauren »

Hi!
Supported until October 2010.
Please see: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

77yearold wrote:New PC, win 7 and for whatever reason absolute inability to burn an ISO that works.
Let's solve that problem.
  • Diagnose your optical drive hardware and media: does it read all kinds of discs OK?
  • Diagnose your optical drive software and media: does it write any files OK to your blank discs?
  • Diagnose your Mint ISO: is it correct for your architecture? (32 vs. 64-bit, right-click Computer-->Properties, look for "System Type") Is the download corrupt? (verify md5 sum is correct, using a program like this)
  • Diagnose your BIOS: is the optical drive in the right place in the boot order?
If yes to all the above: explain more about "doesn't work."
Please no VB or unenbootin options.
I apologize, but UNetbootIn is the very simplest way to get this done, if you have a suitable pendrive and burning won't work. It's dead easy, these days. Total no-brainer compared to getting wireless drivers up.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Yeah, you had better update to 10 with Unetbootin and do a terminal:

Code: Select all

lspic
If your wireless is still not working, some WiFi needs tweaking, especially Broadcom.

If you have alot of time to tinker, you should give Linux Mint Debian a try.

Glad to see you using Mint at 77, I hope I am doing the same when I get there as well. :wink:
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Return to “Networking”