arbitrary wifi connectivity

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kendew

arbitrary wifi connectivity

Post by kendew »

The situation:
Isadora Mint 9
Can connect to most every wireless network with my Lenovo Thinkpad R61i except at work with Gnone session, but no ethernet problem.
Cannot connect to these same networks from fluxbox session on same laptop, but Kubuntu connects
Can connect to work wireless automatically and no problem with iOS or XP (embarrassing).
In all cases connection fails on authentication, though password is correct.
Work internet is dedicated IP with Netgear C1313 modem, cable connection.
Any suggestings are welcome.
Kendew

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
15:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b6)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: arbitrary wifi connectivity

Post by richyrich »

Have you thought of trying a different network manager ? Installing wicd will auto-remove gnome n-m, and you can always reverse the process if it doesn't help . . . just a thought.

regards, richy

ps: be careful, take notes, just in case. :)
kendew

Post by kendew »

Richy
Thanks a lot for reply.
Yes, had installed WICD but same story all around.
Kendew
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

It may have something to do with the Intel 4965 wireless card. Apparently there are problems with Ubuntu 10.10 (and hence Mint 10) and some Intel cards (Google "Maverick" and "iwlagn" or "Intel wireless"). I have the same Intel 4965 you do, and with Mint 10 I have a number of wireless problems that I never had with any previous Mint. I for one hope this gets fixed in Ubuntu 11.04/Mint 11, as it used to be perfect.
noJS

Post by noJS »

It doesn't matter what card or router or computer you have. These linux experts always dodge the real issue; that something is wrong with WICD and Network Manager. Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint... doesn't matter. Wifi problems are what every single linux distro has in common. There are literally thousands of post in Linux forums about unsolved and persistent wifi issues. It's extremely rare to find a wifi problem that has actually been solved. These same issues have been going on for years without anyone ever finding a solution. The only issues that get solved are the stupid ones like when a person forgets to turn on the wifi. Other than that you're on your own.

What good is an operating system if it has such unstable connectivity? What good is a laptop that won't connect? It's absolutely ridiculous to continue using an OS that won't allow you to do something so simple as connecting to the internet.

The solution to your problem is to ditch Linux. Linux is free and we got what we paid for.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

noJS wrote:It doesn't matter what card or router or computer you have. These linux experts always dodge the real issue; that something is wrong with WICD and Network Manager. Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint... doesn't matter. Wifi problems are what every single linux distro has in common. There are literally thousands of post in Linux forums about unsolved and persistent wifi issues. It's extremely rare to find a wifi problem that has actually been solved. These same issues have been going on for years without anyone ever finding a solution. The only issues that get solved are the stupid ones like when a person forgets to turn on the wifi. Other than that you're on your own.

What good is an operating system if it has such unstable connectivity? What good is a laptop that won't connect? It's absolutely ridiculous to continue using an OS that won't allow you to do something so simple as connecting to the internet.

The solution to your problem is to ditch Linux. Linux is free and we got what we paid for.
Well, yes, it does matter what card you have. Some have more problems than others. Bug reports reflect this.

As I suspect you know yourself, you wildly exaggerate the connectivity problems. To suggest that Linux necessarily gives you "a laptop that won't connect" is rubbish, as is the idea that it's "extremely rare" for the problems to get solved. I've been using wifi with Mint on my laptop for several years now, as have many others here. It was set up in seconds (more easily than Windows XP) and was rock-solid through years of updates, until the recent Maverick update. I guess I must have been hallucinating, and I actually had no wifi for all that time, even though I thought I did! And no, I'm in no way exceptional, and by no means a Linux expert.

Now, I can't say I'm exactly happy about the Maverick situation, because on some mornings (not today) I now have to do some fiddling I didn't have to do before. Nor am I saying that either Wicd or network manager is perfect. But you are misrepresenting reality a bit here.

Yeah, it's not ideal, but if you want to go off on somebody or something, spread the wrath to include manufacturers who don't bother to supply Linux drivers or Linux-friendly firmware. And Google "Windows wifi problems" sometime. Surprise, they exist too.
noJS

Post by noJS »

rlindsey0 wrote:
noJS wrote:It doesn't matter what card or router or computer you have. These linux experts always dodge the real issue; that something is wrong with WICD and Network Manager. Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint... doesn't matter. Wifi problems are what every single linux distro has in common. There are literally thousands of post in Linux forums about unsolved and persistent wifi issues. It's extremely rare to find a wifi problem that has actually been solved. These same issues have been going on for years without anyone ever finding a solution. The only issues that get solved are the stupid ones like when a person forgets to turn on the wifi. Other than that you're on your own.

Well, yes, it does matter what card you have. Some have more problems than others. Bug reports reflect this.

As I suspect you know yourself, you wildly exaggerate the connectivity problems. To suggest that Linux necessarily gives you "a laptop that won't connect" is rubbish, as is the idea that it's "extremely rare" for the problems to get solved. I've been using wifi with Mint on my laptop for several years now, as have many others here. It was set up in seconds (more easily than Windows XP) and was rock-solid through years of updates, until the recent Maverick update. I guess I must have been hallucinating, and I actually had no wifi for all that time, even though I thought I did! And no, I'm in no way exceptional, and by no means a Linux expert.

Now, I can't say I'm exactly happy about the Maverick situation, because on some mornings (not today) I now have to do some fiddling I didn't have to do before. Nor am I saying that either Wicd or network manager is perfect. But you are misrepresenting reality a bit here.

Yeah, it's not ideal, but if you want to go off on somebody or something, spread the wrath to include manufacturers who don't bother to supply Linux drivers or Linux-friendly firmware. And Google "Windows wifi problems" sometime. Surprise, they exist too.
And the fact that your brilliant reply STILL doesn't answer the original poster's question is exactly what I'm talking about. Lots of dancing around and no solutions. That speaks for itself. Yes, you were hallucinating.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

noJS wrote:
rlindsey0 wrote:

And the fact that your brilliant reply STILL doesn't answer the original poster's question is exactly what I'm talking about. Lots of dancing around and no solutions. That speaks for itself. Yes, you were hallucinating.
Hallucinating? Bullshit. I use my wireless every single day with Mint. But hey, don't let inconvenient little things like facts get in the way of a good rant.

If you're so concerned for the OP's well-being, why don't YOU offer a solution? Something less troll-like than "ditch Linux"?
noJS

Post by noJS »

This is like groundhog's day with you...again! :roll:

Yet ANOTHER of your brilliant replies that STILL doesn't provide a solution. Stop avoiding the subject. Your predictability is so nauseating. WICD and Network Manager are unstable no matter what WLAN card one has. On every Linux forum these same issues have been going on for years without a solution being provided. You can pretend all you want, but, all it takes is a little trip to the Fedora and Ubuntu forums to verify my statements. Literally, hundreds of thousands of posts with unresolved WICD and Network manager problems. I said it once and I'll say it again...DITCH LINUX! There's the solution.

I'm sure you'll be back to make yet another post that won't resolve the OP's problem. I won't be here to see it. My point is proven. One solution: Ditch Linux.

Return to “Networking”