Can I connect Laptop to HDTV with USB?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frascati
Level 3
Level 3

Can I connect Laptop to HDTV with USB?

Post by frascati »

I can burn a video file onto a usb stick with my laptop.

My Samsung HDTV PN50C550 has two USB ports. They handle video content. When the stick is inserted the video file is recognized by the set and plays.

Is it possible to make a wired direct connection between the laptop and television using these ports so that I can take advantage of much superior media players than the firmware that is on my television set?

HDMI does not work for me with my Nvidia card in Linux. Samsung's file sharing utilities will not run in Linux either. Seems that I'm stuck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can I connect Laptop to HDTV with USB?

Post by nunol »

Don't know about usb to hdmi adapter but usually I just use arista or handbrake to convert video files that my Samsung TV can't read.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can I connect Laptop to HDTV with USB?

Post by nunol »

I didn't try that with that adapter but I did with the VGA and the first time I was connecting to the wrong sound input, the Samsung TV had another sound input to use with the VGA cable. Make sure you are making the right connections.

Return to “Networking”