No Wifi under Linux Mint 9 (KDE Desktop)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
childe joseph

No Wifi under Linux Mint 9 (KDE Desktop)

Post by childe joseph »

I've been using Linux Mint 9 Gnome for the past few months. I've thus far had no problems that I could not work out myself, until I installed KDE-full. I've been a Gnome user since coming to Mint from Ubuntu. I've been reading some good things about KDE 4.5 so decided to give it a try. First thing I noticed was I couldn't get online. I'm using a wireless usb adapter Rosewill RNX-N250UB. This piece of hardware works under Gnome fine, so I went on to explore my new KDE desktop. Checked out a few things, mostly system settings, and control panel stuff, trying to find networks and devices, configuring other little things along the way. I could not find any settings to connect to wireless networks. Secondly there's a usb device application of some sort that autostarts when you log in to KDE, tells me I have no usb devices connected, yet the wireless adapter sits plugged in, blue light blinking away. If someone could please help me connect to a network under the KDE desktop, and possibly explain why this is not a problem on the same system, under Gnome, this would be extremely helpful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No Wifi under Linux Mint 9 (KDE Desktop)

Post by TBABill »

Did you try setting up KDEWallet to manage your passwords? I fought KDE on Mint 10 and that ended up being why, even with driver installed, I could not connect. Once I enabled KDEWallet I was good to go.
childe joseph

Re: No Wifi under Linux Mint 9 (KDE Desktop)

Post by childe joseph »

No the wallet is not the problem. I'm trying to connect to public networks so passwords are not an issue. I've thus far downloaded Kwifi manager tried to build the tar.gz I could run the "./configure " command but couldnt run the "make" command, I could have pursued that avenue further but decided to move on, found a .deb for Kwifi so I could use the Deb installer, but turned out to be the wrong architecture. Moving right along. I downloaded and installed wifi-radar. And I could see Networks! Yay!!! Still can't connect though....At this point I'm thinking KDE is just not seeing my usb device as reported by the KDE Device Notifier Application. Note that as soon as I plug in a storage device, namely usb thumb drive and external HDD's it's recogonized by the system, just not my network adapter.

Return to “Networking”