Wireless Connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juans91

Wireless Connection

Post by juans91 »

I just tried to install Linux Mint 11 "Katya" but have encountered a problem. When I try to configure my WiFi it becomes very sluggish and stops working completely I really don't know what it is since I'm a newbie, but I had Linux Mint 10 installed and it worked perfectly. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance. :)
My Hardware is:
ASUS EEE PC 1001P
Atheros AR2427 wireless adapter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Wireless Connection

Post by nunol »

It's a kernel bug!

With mine I got a Kernel Panic with Mint 11 64-bit and Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu 11.04.

You have to wait for a new kernel update or use a ppa:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743979
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Similar problem with wireless connection.
Every some 30 seconds it keeps asking for the password of the wireless connection.
It worked perfect under LM 10 but does not work with LM 11, although no changes to hardware at all
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Whats your wireless chip? Have you tried wicd or the kernel ppa?
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

nunol wrote:What's your wireless chip? Have you tried wicd or the kernel ppa?
Chip: TRENDnet Toggle TEW-649UB uses Realtek RTL8192SU chip.
wicd or kernel ppa not tried yet because I do not exactly know what to do :oops:

Can any body help? :?:
Last edited by Cariboo on Sat May 28, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

obscureangelPT

Post by obscureangelPT »

Damn, i have an Asus EEE PC 1000H and i cant connect to any network through wireless since i updated the kernel!
Nooooooo!

I just installed Linux Mint 11 yesterday!
I was using Windows 7 has primary, when i decided to install an linux, again!

I tried a PPA for beta updates but there is nothing available...
Not sure if i done it the right way since i am a truly nooby.

How many time they usually take to release a new kernel?
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

obscureangelPT, what wireless card do you have? I have a Realtek in my Dell mini 1018 and I had to go to Realtek's website and download updated drivers when LMDE updated the Kernel. Realtek provides Linux drivers and it's really easy to install them.

Matt
obscureangelPT

Post by obscureangelPT »

I dont know, but i think its atheros, i search for drivers and i didnt found!
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

obscureangelPT, I see. I'm a Linux newbie, so my troubleshooting skills are not great. Did you try the instruction from the link I included above? If Mint 10, or 9, worked, I'd just go back to that (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). If not, hopefully someone else here will help you out.

Matt
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You can always try Ndiswrapper with the XP driver.

If you post the output of the command:

Code: Select all

lspci
We can check to see if there is a better way.
obscureangelPT

Post by obscureangelPT »

Well its working in my university with a connection full encrypted lol

Dont understand why it doenst work at home, cause before the update was working ok!
I will see if it works when I reach home at 1h:00 (GMT)

Thanks for the help!
Beelzebub

Post by Beelzebub »

I wrote a short blogpost on how to update your kernel to a version that doesn't panic when you try to connect to your wireless network. I wrote it for Ubuntu but as we all know Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu so it works for Mint too (I have tried it). Doing this fixed my problem with my Asus EEE 1005P netbook.

Note that this is only for those of you that run into kernel panic (screen goes black with lots of text) when you try to connect to a wireless network, not for other problems.
juans91

Post by juans91 »

I have tried the pre-proposed kernel but it does not work for me. Thank for your reply. Maybe I'll wait until a new kernel update.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

Cariboo,

realtek provides linux drivers for the RTL8192SU chip. You can find them here ,http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... =true#2312. Updated drivers for your card were just released and will likely work with the new kernel. If you download the file you will find a "read me" file with installation instructions.

I'm using a Dell Mini1018 with a RTL8188CE card and I needed to install the updated drivers to work with 2.6.38-2-686 kernel.

Matt
Last edited by Matt267 on Sat May 28, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You can also try the Windows XP driver with Ndiswrapper.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

filluplite wrote:bros i need also help i m using bluetooth and want share conection with my pc to pc with bluetooth how i can do this 2nd if my data goes up to 1 gv then bluesoil give me error and says to me purchase new software or update it what i need to do and how i can get crack update me kindly
You should start a new thread dedicated to the Bluetooth problem and give more information about the hardware and Mint edition you are using.
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

Wow, same issue here. Asus EEE PC 1001P with an Atheros AR2427 wireless adapter. When I connect to a router, the computer slows to a crawl then kernel panics. Pretty serious bug, I wonder when it'll get fixed since so many people use the Atheros card.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Matt267 wrote:Cariboo,

realtek provides linux drivers for the RTL8192SU chip. You can find them here ,http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... =true#2312. Updated drivers for your card were just released and will likely work with the new kernel. If you download the file you will find a "read me" file with installation instructions.

I'm using a Dell Mini1018 with a RTL8188CE card and I needed to install the updated drivers to work with 2.6.38-2-686 kernel.

Matt
Thank you, Matt.

I got it fixed the same way as I did in LM10 (Julia). It works but I'm not sure if this is state of the art?
EDIT Feb25. 20:11: It works. :D That's what I did:
1)

sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU/

2)

sudo wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/37387612/ ... sfw.bin.gz

3)

sudo gunzip rtl8192sfw.bin.gz

4)

sudo mv rtl8192sfw.bin /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU/

5) Configure Network: -->Menu -->Control Centre -->Network Connections

EDIT:Mar.3,'11.
:idea: :arrow: :| :roll:
I forgot to mention:
During the set-up, the Adapter TEW-649UB must not be plugged in.
After configuration, plug in the Adapter :!:
Last edited by Cariboo on Tue May 31, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty surprised they'd release this officially to the public without extensive testing, as it's a pretty serious bug.

So is Linux Mint 11 "frozen" at the buggy kernel version, or will they release a kernel patch?

Return to “Networking”