Authentication required by wireless network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frieza

Authentication required by wireless network

Post by frieza »

Hello. I seem to have run into a problem connecting to the internet. I have linux mint 9 installed on a desktop computer that uses a wireless usb dongle to connect to my router. It was working fine until last night. I turned the computer off and when I started today the little green dots that appear in the corner did not both turn green just one and then a box appeared asking "Authentication required by wireless network." So I entered the password that I have been using and still wont connect. I enter the password again and still it wont connect. Then I went to edit connections and deleted my wireless network connection and created another using the same credentials I had and still couldnt get the computer to connect. One time instead of the blue bars that show an internet connection I had some white bars or clear. I tried to use a web browser but got a message stating I was offline. I really dont know what to do now. I have a laptop running windows 7 and it is connection just fine. Do you think my wireless usb dongle is going bad or something? It seems to be recieving signals from mine and other networks so why am I unable to connect to the internet? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Authentication required by wireless network

Post by richyrich »

Have you given your Router a reboot ?
frieza

Post by frieza »

Yes i just tried that. I turned the router off then back on. I have even created a new password for the router. I put the new password in the laptop thats running windows 7 and it is doing fine. My desktop is still giving me a message as it is trying to access the inetnet that the connection needs a wirless password. I have entered the new router password and still it wont connect. I just get one little green circle and the other is black. The few times that the green circles seemed to both be on when the bars appear they have been white or clear looking not the blue showing signal strength. I am thinking about just reformatting and starting with the latest Mint. I just hate having to transfer my old files to a portable harddrive.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Can you open the Terminal program, type: mintwifi (enter), then copy/paste the entire output back here in a reply? (inside the code blocks is suggested)
frieza

Post by frieza »

richyrich wrote:Have you given your Router a reboot ?
Thank you for the suggestion. I just did that. I thought when you meant reboot you meant to turn off the router and back on which i did and had no joy. But i figured out that theres a little hole you can stick a pin into it and it will reset it. Which is what I did and then when prompted to enter Wireless network password I did and was able to access the internet. Thanks again linux mint community.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

But be carful!
frieza wrote:will reset it
Your complete security configuration is lost, too! You have to configure a good password for the web frontend interface and all the other stuff you've done.

Return to “Networking”