Intel centrino 6300agn slow performance

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpte

Intel centrino 6300agn slow performance

Post by wpte »

my system: mint 12 lisa 64bit
Since I've updated from the release candidate I've been having slow wifi performance.

What I experience is pretty low speeds: about 1MB/s instead of 12MB/s I'm able to reach on windows.
Also It's hard to get any page loaded up, chrome says "sending request" but it can hang in that state for several seconds.
I usually hit enter again, to force a retry, and usually the pages load up half way.
I noticed the performance is even worse when having my bluetooth stick plugged in.

iwconfig

Code: Select all

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"xxxxxxxxxx"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.472 GHz  Access Point: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Bit Rate=14.4 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=62/70  Signal level=-48 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:1667  Invalid misc:415   Missed beacon:0
I have a lot of excessive retries, this number resets all the time, but it increases pretty quick when trying to do something network related.

I've tried using the windows drivers using the ndis tool, which seem to load fine. They report that the hardware is available.
But, the intel linux drivers are still insmodded. I tried rmmod to unload them, but the windows drivers seem to kick in properly...
also, how do you disable them during boot time? :P

I hope someone can help me, since without wifi you don't really have the proper laptop experience :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wpte

Re: Intel centrino 6300agn slow performance

Post by wpte »

Ok so this is pretty weird.

I have a also a very slowly responding network when I have a wired connection and my wireless is on (but not connected).
As soon as I turn wireless of everything just loads up at super quick speeds :shock:

perhaps this rather is a bug of the network manager than a driver bug? :shock:
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Does the same happen when you run in live mode? If so it's a problem with your installation.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The network manager does not handle the actual network traffic. It just makes connections to networks and that's all.

You can blacklist iwlagn to stop it from loading every time your computer boots.

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wpte

Post by wpte »

well... I tried re-installing mint... but that neither solved the problem.
Also I tried ndistwrapper again, with the iwlagn drivers disabled but that didn't work.

so right now I simply compiled the intel drivers from http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download which seems to solve a lot of problems.
The download and upload speed is drastically increased, also the packetloss seems to be gone as well.

The performance isn't still quite like on windows, but at least it works good enough for sharing files over the local network :D

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"xxxxxxxxxx"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.472 GHz  Access Point: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   
          Bit Rate=19.5 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=55/70  Signal level=-55 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:23475  Invalid misc:117   Missed beacon:0
excessive retries is still pretty high, but at least it's better :)

Return to “Networking”