wi-fi dissapeared after kernel update

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
agvares

wi-fi dissapeared after kernel update

Post by agvares »

so, i've updated the kernel and after the reboot found out that my wi fi dissapeared (from what i get OS doesn't see it at all), i've downloaded broadcom drivers from offsite but can't install them since all 'make' commands result in failures.

hope someone could come up with some solution for that issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: wi-fi dissapeared after kernel update

Post by mads »

Did you install linux-headers?
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
agvares

Post by agvares »

yep, i've followed the procedure desctribed in how-to section.

first installed that "...all.deb" pacckage, then headers, then image and rebooted.

btw during loggin in i've got a black screee for a second and there are a few lines about "bad number" or "bad lines" there.

also, reinstalling a deb pacckage driver from repostitory didn't help
mads

Post by mads »

What is the kernel version you are trying to install? A kernel upgrade is usually done by running:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To remove the kernel you have installed:
Restart your computer. In Grub2 menu, you should see an entry for your previous kernel.
Boot to your previously working old kernel, and remove/uninstall the new kernel.
agvares

Post by agvares »

mads wrote:What is the kernel version you are trying to install? A kernel upgrade is usually done by running:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To remove the kernel you have installed:
Restart your computer. In Grub2 menu, you should see an entry for your previous kernel.
Boot to your previously working old kernel, and remove/uninstall the new kernel.
i've installed 3.2.8 kernel. i already know how to boot under previous kernel, but how do i properly unistall another one?

btw, wi-fi is working under new kernel on my netbook, by the annoying keyboard turn-offs haven't gone anywhere.
mads

Post by mads »

To uninstall a kernel I remove three packages. Example for kernel 3.0.0-12-generic (change according to your version):
sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-3.0.0-12 linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic linux-image-3.0.0-12-generic
agvares

Post by agvares »

ok, thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Return to “Networking”