Replacing Network Manager with wicd

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SidharthaXx

Replacing Network Manager with wicd

Post by SidharthaXx »

Hi All,

Been having some consistent wireless issues, so I am going to try replacing network manager with wicd.

I have installed wicd from synaptic. Do I absolutely need to remove network manager to use wicd?
Or are there options to turn off/disable network manager and run wicd instead?

If so, how do I do that?

Many Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Replacing Network Manager with wicd

Post by nomko »

Don't make the mistake of removing the standard network manager firts and later trying to install (let say after a reboot) Wicd ;-)

Just open synaptic, search for Wicd and mark it for installation, and then search for gnome-network-manager and mark that for removal. And then press Apply! Good luck!
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

Thanks for the response, but sorry, I'm still a little confused.

I have installed wicd via synaptic, uninstalled gnome network-manager... and nothing seems to have changed.

I am running cinnamon, and my network manager applet is still in my task bar... showing me connected to my usual wireless network.
My network settings dialog under system settings seems the same.

Should I be expecting to see any changes? Is wicd merely a backgroud process taking over from NM and I won't notice anything?

Is there a way to check that wicd is indeed managing everything now?

Thanks again
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

Just to follow up on this...

Strangely the cinammon network manager applet seems to work 70% of the time for wicd... is this surprising?

Return to “Networking”