Gnome File Chooser Issue

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

The Dolphin file manager features a thumbnail previews mode. And it has a dual-panel option.

It's intended for KDE, but I've been using it under GNOME without problems.

Review with screen shots.

------
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Have you checked out the Firefly file-browser extension for Firefox?

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

To be fair, this isn't a GNOME fault. It's an application/utility program(mer) oversight.

The Firefly extension shows a thumbnail preview when the mouse is hovered over an image file name. That seems like an improvement over the generic file chooser. But, I don't upload images to e-mail or eBay, so I don't completely understand the glitch.

Which software does do what your wife is looking for?

------
Last edited by telic on Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I checked Firefox File Open in KDE Bianca and in PCLinuxOS (KDE), and the file chooser is virtually identical to the one in GNOME.

Konqueror's built-in file chooser can preview an image when you click the file name, so it's a little behind Firefox++Firefly (which only needs a mouse hover).

Perhaps you'll have to run Windows XP under Mint ++ VirtualBox to keep the missus happy.

;-)
------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I actually just read that there was a trick in KDE when using firefox...
Info online? Got a URL?

-----
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I applied that tweak to Firefox in GNOME Bianca and KDE PCLinuxOS. The result in both is a file chooser with fewer features than what there is now.

The current file chooser has a sidebar with folder bookmarks, plus a cookie-crumb mode of following the file path. You lose those features when you apply that 'trick' to Firefox. And still no picture previews.

I didn't try this with KDE Bianca, because the Beta 020 zen background is so bright that I can almost feel it melting the skin on my face. Much more of that walloping radiation and I may awake in the morning with super powers. But there's no guarantee that I wouldn't be a super villain. Me afraid.

;-)

-----

Return to “MATE”