Location of Trash bin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thotheolh

Location of Trash bin

Post by Thotheolh »

Hi. I am trying to locate the actual location of the Trash bin folder so I could shred my files in the trash bin. I tried to look in the "/.local/share/Trash" location but it did not work out.

Below is my terminal interaction:

Code: Select all

adhovmos@adhovmos-VirtualBox ~ $ cd /home/adhovmos/.local/share/Trash
bash: cd: /home/adhovmos/.local/share/Trash: No such file or directory
I would like to know the actual location of it as I am writing a PyGTK application called Shredder (http://code.google.com/p/shredder) that would allow users to one-click shred their Trash bins as part of it's feature and I am attempting to test it out on Linux Mint since it is an Ubuntu-based distro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Location of Trash bin

Post by viking777 »

Do you have a trash system at all? (like an icon in your file manager) If you do, create an empty file called something like testfilexxx and send it to trash. Then run

sudo updatedb
followed by

locate testfilexxx
That will tell you where it has gone. You could use the find command if you wanted, but if you do you have to tell it where to look (which has always seemed a pretty daft idea to me) and as you don't know where it has gone you would have to search the entire file system which would take an awful lot longer than using locate.

Return to “MATE”