Stupid Gnome Character Map

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nevart

Stupid Gnome Character Map

Post by Nevart »

The character map in Gnome doesn't display numbers or special symbols like emdash etc. Does anyone have any idea why they decided to make it not fully functional? It's very frustrating and a point up for MS who have always made the full character set available through charmap for every font. I'm not saying I prefer Windows, but it looks like in terms of usability and accessibility they did a better job than the developers of Gnome's Character Map, allowing anyone to access any character in the set, which Gnome's team failed to do (or that's how it looks right now, anyway).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Stupid Gnome Character Map

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

You may have the default view set By Script. Change it to View > By Unicode Block. Then click All (first choice in the list on the left-hand side).
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Nevart

Re: Stupid Gnome Character Map

Post by Nevart »

Ah, well thanks very much for that simple solution. But you see what I mean --- we shouldn't have to work that hard! It should be the default and then if we want to do something fancy that is when it should go to that more restrictive mode. Otherwise who is going to know? And Mint doesn't include the help file for the character map.

But that worked perfectly (your solution) and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it. Thanks!

Return to “MATE”