Unable to Login into Gnome

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miguel53201

Unable to Login into Gnome

Post by miguel53201 »

I have Linux Mint 11 installed. For the last 2 days I have been having some issues logging in and system freezes.
Either
1. my pc does not get to GRUB menu at all and the fan keeps going.
2. If I turn it off completely from the wall and leave it off for a while I can get past GRUB but then it gets stuck in White / black screen and does not get to the login screen.
3. I keep trying, I get past GRUB and the Login Screen login into Gnome (No effects) and within a few minutes the mouse and keyboard freezes

I then tried logging into Gnome Failsafe mode. When I could get this far and it seems to be working in Failsafe mode at the moment. LM is lasting longer without freezing than the last 3 days.

Can you please advise what the issue is. I have dual boot with Windows and it also froze the mouse and keyboard when trying to backup files.
Can someone please advise what the issue is. My guess is the that it is a a GPU problem if LM works in Failsafe mode My Graphics card is Geforce FX5200 or maybe my PSU

Thank you for your help in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killernat

Re: Unable to Login into Gnome

Post by killernat »

you sound like ur having the same issue as me use ctrl+alt+f1 when it freezes log in and use

Code: Select all

$ sudo service gdm restart
befor that try runing

$ top
to see if gnome shell is taking all the cpu
so far the only solution i found is to make a new user from the above mentioned method

$ sudo adduser <new usernae> admin

Return to “MATE”