returned to kde and impressed!

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

returned to kde and impressed!

Postby phill1978 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 pm

I was running it previously about 2 months ago and it was nigh on perfect but a few bugs and a slight slowness compared to xfce was enough for me to try cinnamon. Well Ive returned after some laggy cinnamon gaming performance and i can say that its now super fast and feels really stable. There is also a ton of new stuff :D

its just about perfect now! cant wait for wayland too
phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: returned to kde and impressed!

Postby Myrmidon83 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:33 pm

I hear ya, I'm a reasonably recent KDE convert myself and I really love it. :D
Myrmidon83
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Vito49 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:04 pm

phill1978 wrote:I was running it previously about 2 months ago and it was nigh on perfect but a few bugs and a slight slowness compared to xfce was enough for me to try cinnamon. Well Ive returned after some laggy cinnamon gaming performance and i can say that its now super fast and feels really stable. There is also a ton of new stuff :D

its just about perfect now! cant wait for wayland too

The same situation here ... I tried almost every flavour available on the Linux market, loved Cinnamon a lot, found Xfce the best DE ever, installed LM Maya KDE but removed it after a few months because a few other Linux users didn't like KDE because it was too much like Windows (and believe it or not but they refused to help me because I had KDE running), did a lot of distro hopping, was impressed by Zorin en SolydXK, but .... returned finally to LM 15 KDE. I think it's the best DE I ever worked with.

It's sad that there is no LMDE version for KDE at the moment (SolydXK has it but it didn't run flawlessly on my old computer) and it's sad that Olivia is only supported until January 2014. But I decided to stick to Olivia and see what the future brings.

Greetings.
Vito
Gnu/Linux user #547905 from Aarschot/Belgium
using Linux Mint 17 KDE
on an old Fujitsu Siemens desktop PC (2.8 GHz / 2 GB ram)
Vito49
Level 2
Level 2

AW: returned to kde and impressed!

Postby teilnehmer on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Sounds promising... Is it reasonably fast on slower PCs? I have 3D graphics, but it's a rather dated Atom processor with onboard graphics. I went for "least noise" instead of "most power", and fanless PCs aren't that fast. Think KDE would be running well?
teilnehmer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: AW: returned to kde and impressed!

Postby Vito49 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 am

teilnehmer wrote:Sounds promising... Is it reasonably fast on slower PCs? I have 3D graphics, but it's a rather dated Atom processor with onboard graphics. I went for "least noise" instead of "most power", and fanless PCs aren't that fast. Think KDE would be running well?

I can't talk for you but on my more than 6 year old computer with graphics on the motherboard (and sound too) Olivia works great. I must admit I'm not a real "speed freak", computers don't have to work like lightning (I don't play games), they have to do their job being reliable and have a certain amount of eye-candy, they must have a DE that's is easy to tune to own needs and is easy to maintain. And you can find that in LM 15 KDE ... But as I said before, support is great but way too short, I can't understand why editions can't have a support period of about 2 or 3 years or 5 like Mint 13 .....but that's my opinion of course, I'm not an expert (far from that) I'm a huge LM fan, the best distro around.

My 2 cents, teilnehmer, but I'm pretty sure most people here are very happy with LM, whatever flavour they run.

CYA.
Vito
Gnu/Linux user #547905 from Aarschot/Belgium
using Linux Mint 17 KDE
on an old Fujitsu Siemens desktop PC (2.8 GHz / 2 GB ram)
Vito49
Level 2
Level 2

Postby catweazel on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:28 am

+1 for KDE.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Re: AW: returned to kde and impressed!

Postby Myrmidon83 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:23 am

teilnehmer wrote:Sounds promising... Is it reasonably fast on slower PCs? I have 3D graphics, but it's a rather dated Atom processor with onboard graphics. I went for "least noise" instead of "most power", and fanless PCs aren't that fast. Think KDE would be running well?

My laptop is a few years old now and KDE is very snappy on it, my graphics card is an integrated nvidia 8200m g, which was never amazing to begin with and I have loads of fancy effects, multiple desktops, wobbly windows etc. :) The only negative I have encountered with KDE is that when you are doing large file transfers say from or to a usb hard drive or usb, it does noticeably slow down for some reason. I haven't looked into this though.
Myrmidon83
Level 4
Level 4

AW: returned to kde and impressed!

Postby teilnehmer on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:39 am

Thank you Vito and Myrmidon, I might give it a shot. I guess I'll wait though. As was stated before, it's a real shame not to have long term support, so I switched to just using the LTS releases. I'm on 13 with XFCE and pretty happy. I always liked KDE, though. Very well prepared desktop with lots of functions. Aah, the choices you have with Linux. It's terrible. :)
teilnehmer
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 741cc on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:55 pm

+1 on KDE.
Once you get the knack of configuring it though, and that may be a daunting task, any other DE seems positively crippled!

Vito49 wrote
I can't understand why editions can't have a support period of about 2 or 3 years or 5

Try Chakra Linux - a rolling, dedicated KDE distro. Based on Arch tho, not Debian. Never need to re-install that one.
741cc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Orbmiser on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Yep use to be one of those Gnome users spouting FUD about KDE being a resource hog,Slow,etc...

Went to Mint 14 & 15 KDE. And now have all the tweaking and features built-in.
A biggy was Apps remembering their Size & Position. Don't know why others accept the fact of multiple workspaces,dual displays,etc.. Where it is acceptable for a DE not to remember Size & Position of apps. And acceptable for them to drag apps and resize them everytime they open an app. KDE has that feature built-in. As well Desktop effects and slew of plasmoids that can be run in the panels or on the desktop.

Was tiring to do re-installs every 6months and created more backing up work with more vesions of partitions to my external usb.
So was looking for a Debian based KDE rolling release. And tried out SolydK which is semi-rolling with monthly update packs.
Sept. pack came with KDE 4.11.1 and Kernel 3.10-2 and other fresh apps updates. Now I backup my partitions once a month just before applying update pack.

So far loving Solyd-K KDE smooth and fast and came to desktop 50mb lighter than Mint 15 KDE.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to KDE