Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Plasma Desktop Shell Closed Unexpectedly

Postby oldal on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:51 pm

Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 16 Petra, 64 bit version
Release: 16
Codename: petra
Desktop: KDE

Immediately after installation, the message "Plasma Desktop Shell Closed Unexpectedly" appeared and Plasma Desktop disappeared, permanently.

1. Is it possible to re-install the plasma desktop and if so, how.

I started using linuxmint16 KDE "petra" when it was a RC. The Plasma Desktop Shell is OK there. When the linuxmint16 KDE was released, the behaviour changed and the Plasma Desktop Shell vanished...

linuxmint is still operative but without the neat PLasma Desktop shell feature.

2. Should I revert back to the RC (which has operative Plasma Desktop Shell)?
Last edited by oldal on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
OldAl - in Canberra, the capital of Australia
oldal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Plasma Desktop Shell Closed Unexpectedly

Postby CupOfCoffee on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Wow - that is odd.

Could you possibly show a screenshot of your desktop?

I think there is a screenshot program called KSnapshot that's included with KDE by default.
Ironically, I actually don't like coffee that much - I prefer tea.

My Rusty and Trusty PC: Compaq Presario C500 (widescreen) x86, 2GB RAM, 1TB Solid State Hybrid, 1.86 GHz Intel Celeron M 440.
CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Plasma Desktop Shell Closed Unexpectedly

Postby oldal on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:42 am

mint16KDE-final.jpg
"bad" desktop
mint16KDE-RC.jpg
"good" desktop

Hi CupsOfCofee,

Thank you for reading and responding. I must confess that I goofed when I assumed that RC had the "real" Plasma Desktop. Apparently when I was liight heartedly experimenting with the RC, I installed plasma folder viewer. Its behaviour is very similar, actually nearly identical to the Plasma Desktop Shell, except that it shows the full file name of the link to program in the format [name].[extension='desktop']. The auto installed Plasma Desktop Shell shows only [name] whilst the file in ~/Desktop folder has the [extension].

Incidentally, I keep several versions of each installed linux operating system, as this is a "cheap" option. I keep two data partitions that are shared amongst all the installed linux os's: one mounted on /dat and the other on /images. The /dat partition stores local-mail, Documents directories and similar, whilst /images stores iso images of various os's and some similar bulky items.

I suspect that splitting data in two is a bit of an overkill, though it makes backing up quicker and a little simpler. For backing up I use the good old "rsync" command. Suits me, it is not bad and old. I am too not deliberately bad and old.

As my mistake drew your attention to this posting, I think I mark it as "solved" after you reply to this "revelation"...
Thank you again,
---
OldAl - in Canberra, the capital of Australia
oldal
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE