New features for Elyssa KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: New features for Elyssa KDE

Post by Zwopper »

New features...
How about making a MintAssistant for KDE, something like Pardus "Kaptan Desktop"
Screenshots
Video
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

ed@Mint wrote:Fredrik2000,

This was not especially addressed to *you*. :wink:
As i mentioned, it is due to *several* requests for adept.

Still waiting for a fail in the arguments i showed.

Anyway, you should almost never use programs like adept and synaptic since there's mintupdate for the updates, and the software portal for new software.

If somebody *really* doesn't like adept (some people are bold-minded :P )
Then let him install it by himself.
But i clearly can't find a valid reason to replace adept by synaptic *by default*.

cheers
ed
Once again I'm totally behind you! 8)
CREA DIEM!

Fred

Post by Fred »

Crazy?.... Did I hear someone say crazy? Was someone calling me? :-)

Crazy Fred

PS: That is my first name you know. lol
a2olson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by a2olson »

I have been using the mini version for a couple of months It's been fine . thru in koffice that is a knock out, but I don't use it. thru it out, I tried iit to see the text impact on krita. That was the the deal breaker for me "krita" is the program of most kritical importance to me.
What to have. All the help files possible. A program that would suggest possible downloads from the repos that might solve your problem.
It's moving time throw out what isn't Kritical.
Theo

Post by Theo »

As features for Elyssa, in my opinion the combination of Kphotoalbum and digikam setup with a combined annotation database would be a perfect solution.
Searching and organizing in 10.000+ pictures works well, much more possibilities than with picasa and it does integrate nicely with KDE.

And it would be nice to have the extra gimp plugins for photo manipulation standard installed :-)

Regards,
Gerard
Fred

Post by Fred »

Boo,

I know this thread has centered on program choices, but the thread title does say. "New features for Elyssa KDE."

I would like to see the KDE version as well as the Gnome version go to "LABEL" instead of "UUID" as partition identifiers. I think it would be a good step as "LABEL" has some distinct advantages over "UUID" as an identifier. After all, "LABEL" doesn't change every time you tamper with a partition or the quarter of the moon changes.

This would go a long way to remedy the "UUID" hell that many users experience, without giving up all the name collision advantages of using partition identifiers in a mixed and changing storage environment.

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I just saw this category, minutes after suggesting two new things in the "Suggestions and New Ideas" forum. They are:

Extra mouse buttons:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12250

and a new Mint tool:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12251
rfpa

Post by rfpa »

Any news concerning Linux 5 KDE CE?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

rfpa wrote:Any news concerning Linux 5 KDE CE?
Hmmm. As much as I appreciate Boo's work, I wish he would spend some time answering in the forums, the KDE forums if nothing/nowhere else.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I hope a KDE beta will be here when it is really in beta condition, and not a minute sooner. :-)

Fred
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the KDE beta is close.
The dev team have Beta 013 for testing.
I think there will be a few minor fixes to it before some final testing and a release.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Boo wrote:the KDE beta is close.
I think there will be a few minor fixes to it before some final testing and a release.

Boo
8) 8) 8)
CREA DIEM!

rfpa

Post by rfpa »

:)
badmotor 2

Post by badmotor 2 »

Boo wrote:the KDE beta is close.

Boo
Yeeha! I have a blank cd with KDE written on it... :D
badmotor 2

Post by badmotor 2 »

ed@Mint wrote:
badmotor 2 wrote:Yeeha! I have a blank cd with KDE written on it... :D
Well, the KDE full edition will require a DVD i think... :?
Oh.... well I have some of those as well!

I found out the hard way when I made my /root partition only 4GB and installed a couple of programs - next thing you know, it is 96% full! Oh well, all good now.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

What I like about the "lite" version of Daryna/KDE is that it DOESN'T come with a lot of extra software and that the exact items I really want can be selected by me. Konquerer is acceptable as a base. But Koffice-vs-OpenOffice? Firefox3 instead of Konquerer? Let me make those decisions for myself. My opinion that Koffice is the KDE equivilant of "MS Works" is irrelevant, because other people like it. I'll uninstall it.

Here's my suggestion: Instead of making both a DVD and a CD release of Elyssa/KDE, make a base CD and an extended CD. By moving more of the apps to the extended CD, you could have a base CD with both KDE3.5 and KDE4.x available as options on install for the individual to pick from. Maybe default to 3.5 for simplicity. But then the only reason to download the extended CD is for performing installs where you don't want to (or can't) just grab everything from the internet. The extended CD would also facilitate easier network installs, because the iso can just be remotely mounted.

Something to look at might be how Sabayon, even their "lite" CD, handles hardware detection on install and liveCD bootup. Dang thats slick!

I'd like to see a multi-button logitech mouse configure without having to manually edit xorg.conf. Even if that meant having to pick from a menu of keyboard/mouse options.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

mbKarlos wrote:I am just meaning to put a link in the desktop after installed, it can be named "Install Necessary Sofware", and show a window with all software we would have to install to have a complete KDE mint Edition, I mean all those apps that is eliminated to fit in a CD, and the option to select, So if I do not want to install Gimp, I unselect it; if I want to install OpenOffice, I select it. And also a short explanation of what the package or application does.
This is a better explained version of what I was thinking of. Combine this with a CD iso that wraps up all of these "recommended apps" for ease of download, offline install, network install, etc.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Boo,

Please don't forget to fix the boot splash screen problem when using a separate /boot partition.

Thanks,

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

AK Dave wrote: I'd like to see a multi-button logitech mouse configure without having to manually edit xorg.conf. Even if that meant having to pick from a menu of keyboard/mouse options.
Mouse buttons already work in Mint 5 with Firefox 3 beta5, though I didn't get a chance to try them on FF-2 or Konqueror. In Mint 4 KDE I got the mouse buttons working for FF3 but it took away their functionality in FF2. So now I just use FF3 anyway.

I also managed to bork my install of beta Mint 5 (my fault, not Mint's) so I can't try them now on alternatives. I'm a KDE guy anyway so I'm not reinstalling until the KDE version comes out.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

How about VBA optimization ala openSuSE 11 to help speed OpenOffice load times, or would that be an issue to tackle in Mint6?

You can really just cherry pick the niftiest little improvement from each distro and roll them together. openSUSE 11 has the VBA optimization. Fedora 9 allows file encryption to be rolled directly into the install. Sabayon has a very optimized boot and with no effort on the user's part fires up appropriate (albiet restricted/proprietary) video drivers for enhanced/optimal 3D experience right out of the box. Mandriva and Sabayon both default, with no user effort, to enhanced 3D eyecandy. Vista automatically grades your system hardware based on some wierd internal benchmarking and automatically scales its eyecandy to your system's percieved optimal capacity.

Return to “Software & Applications”