KDE CE Review

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

KDE CE Review

Post by exploder »

Found this review of the Mint KDE CE and thought some of you might like to read it.

http://mklinuxos.blogspot.com/2008/03/n ... eased.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: KDE CE Review

Post by Husse »

Nice, somewhat short review
Although I don't really like KDE it's a good decision to put more emphasis into it
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here is another review I saw today.

http://www.distro-review.com/review-lin ... ty-edition

I do not agree with some of this guy's comments but he did have some positive things to say as well. This is the third review I have seen on the KDE CE. It is nice to see the release getting some attention!
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

exploder wrote:Here is another review I saw today.

http://www.distro-review.com/review-lin ... ty-edition

I do not agree with some of this guy's comments but he did have some positive things to say as well. This is the third review I have seen on the KDE CE. It is nice to see the release getting some attention!
This was an interesting review. What caught my eye was the comment from user Helios. Really interesting commentary about PCLinuxOS. (I will quote it here)
"I think where Mint has captured my respect is in the way these guys think. Let's be honest. There are many of us that believe Mint is, in many aspects, what (k)ubuntu should have been...or at least in the direction it should have been going.

Having been a frontman for PCLinuxOS for two years, I can see where Mint is beginning to outpace them. Of course everything is colored by subjectivity so apply the applicable grains of salt to taste. Mint rests on the spectacular application choices of the Ubuntu repositories and as I grow as a Linux User, I find a need for those apps not yet available in PCLOS

I find that PCLinuxOS does not yet have the packages I find necessary for MY day to day use. Now, that changes by the day as more people come aboard that are willing to package the rpms for it, but as of now, the Debian/Ubuntu repositories are a sea of exploration as opposed to a roadside fishing hole that houses the school of PCLinuxOS apps. "School" being about 8000 apps at my last count...that's a pretty large school.

They do, in their defense however, have one of the most beautiful and complete eye candy repositories available. This is where Mint could really shine...inclusion of the metal4kde and activeheart styles would go a long way in improving Mint...that and building a control center like Mandriva/PCLinuxOS boast. You cannot argue with the pclos icon choices either...there are some in there that I haven't found elsewhere.

I agree that Mint isn't just another ripoff of Ubuntu. The talent behind this Distro (have you explored their work in fedora and debian mint?) is not only promising, it is insirational and I have no problems in supporting this distro and those behind it."

It's like we're all thinking about this "usable and attractive" linux CONCEPT, and some distros get really close. I was die-hard PCLOS until I kept hitting this wall of frustration with getting the apps I needed. When I discovered Mint, I realized that not only is it "usable and attractive", but it also sits on top of a REALLY ROBUST application pool. And if you really need the bleeding edge version of some program, there is usually a current .deb on the developer website. I think Mint (Gnome and KDE) is on to something that is really powerful, and when people start to figure it out, the growth will be explosive. :D

--Akshun J

Return to “Software & Applications”