How do I add Synaptic to the Tasty Menu? solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

How do I add Synaptic to the Tasty Menu? solved

Post by joutlan »

I want to add Synaptic Package Manager to the Tasty Menu....how do I do that? thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
Husse

Re: How do I add Synaptic to the Tasty Menu?

Post by Husse »

Use Adept....
Taken from memory I think Synaptic is installed (due to some dependencies) so you just call it. From the terminal once to see that I'm right and that it's there (just use synaptic) Then make a launcher for it and add to the menu (can't help you with that - in gnome now but right click should be the starting point)
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Husse wrote:Use Adept....
Taken from memory I think Synaptic is installed (due to some dependencies) so you just call it. From the terminal once to see that I'm right and that it's there (just use synaptic) Then make a launcher for it and add to the menu (can't help you with that - in gnome now but right click should be the starting point)
Yes, I can call it...I was reading a blog on the first things to do with a KDE install and this guy recommended replacing Kmanager with Synaptic....made sense to me because I'm am so very used to using synaptic in gnome...
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
Husse

Post by Husse »

Don't recognize kmanager...
Adept is used in the KDE version
My description on how to add synaptic to tasty menu was flawed - was in Gnome when I wrote it
You do about the same as in Gnome - right click the menu button > Edit menu
From the File menu > New item
Command Synaptic
Run as different user > Root
After that you can drag it to the place you want and add an icon
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Husse wrote:Don't recognize kmanager...
Adept is used in the KDE version
My description on how to add synaptic to tasty menu was flawed - was in Gnome when I wrote it
You do about the same as in Gnome - right click the menu button > Edit menu
From the File menu > New item
Command Synaptic
Run as different user > Root
After that you can drag it to the place you want and add an icon
Thank you very much Husse. I've got it added and the icon even, but I can't find the correct working path....have it by chance? thanks!

EDIT: For posterity, the command for the menu is gksu /usr/sbin/synaptic. Working path is /user/sbin. Please mark this as [Solved] Thanks again Husse for all your help on this and other threads!
Last edited by joutlan on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Re: How do I add Synaptic to the Tasty Menu? solved

Post by Husse »

You can mark your own posts as solved simply by editing them and add solved in the subject line
Me and Clem can do that for everyone :)
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do I add Synaptic to the Tasty Menu? solved

Post by joutlan »

Husse wrote:You can mark your own posts as solved simply by editing them and add solved in the subject line
Me and Clem can do that for everyone :)
Duh on me! :D thanks !

EDIT: to quickly find the working path of a program, call it up in 'run' and the password dialog box will tell you the working path....double duh on me!

Return to “Software & Applications”