KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Postby rdanner3 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Basically, I installed KDE to test it, and got... a flood of "permission denied" error boxes. While KDE did launch, every time it tried to write to a config file, another "Permission Denied" type message box popped up. Considering it only says to "contact your system administrator" with no statement of what the permissions problem is, I am very confused, and that is a bad thing. (Have checked the permissions of ~/.kde; it is UID:1000 and GID matches, so I am both concerned and :?).

Example of the error message: "Configuration file "/home/rdanner3/.kde/config/knotifyrc" not writable. Please contact your system administrator." (There are many of these as KDE comes up...) And even weirder, it even intrudes (twice) during MATE startup!
Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 on LM13 x64 (MATE/LXDE).
Linux dabbler since 1996. Registered Linux User #547455
Serious Linux user since Linux Mint 9 (also x64).
rdanner3
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Postby asdfasdf on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 pm

That does seem odd.

I would also check the permissions and ownerships on the parent directories, /home and /home/rdanner.

Also, I assume that you aren't running SELINUX. In the very unlikely scenario that you were, then I would also then check your selinux logs.
asdfasdf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: KDE: Flood of "permission denied" errors...

Postby rdanner3 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:02 am

asdfasdf wrote:That does seem odd.

I would also check the permissions and ownerships on the parent directories, /home and /home/rdanner.

Also, I assume that you aren't running SELINUX. In the very unlikely scenario that you were, then I would also then check your selinux logs.
What makes this especially annoying is the fact that I am training to be a Linux System Administrator, and the course appears to not cover anything remotely resembling this scenario... which seems a tad odd.
Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 on LM13 x64 (MATE/LXDE).
Linux dabbler since 1996. Registered Linux User #547455
Serious Linux user since Linux Mint 9 (also x64).
rdanner3
Level 2
Level 2

Return to KDE