KDE font size in high resolution monitor.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erku

KDE font size in high resolution monitor.

Post by erku »

KDE 4.8 fonts are a very poor appearance with higher resolution monitor (1680x1050, and higer).

Is selected in KDE Control Center normal font and 96dpi.
Output terminal is currently:
~ # xdpyinfo | grep resolution
resolution: 87x83 dots per inch

~ # xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (490x321 millimeters)
/etc/fonts/conf.d $ xrdb -query | grep dpi
Xft.dpi: 96

How can I change the resolution of the system: 99x98 dots per inch; or: 90x88 dots per inch ?

Thank you very much for who knows...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jaws

Re: KDE font size in high resolution monitor.

Post by Jaws »

I guess I'll take a crack at it.

The video drivers detect the information it needs (resolution, refresh, dpi) from Edid stored in the monitor. As long as you have your video driver set up properly, it should use this info to give you the proper values. Now, if Edid somehow got corrupted, there are ways to override the Edid info and there are a ton of posts on doing this if you google.

When I first started using a Ubuntu based distro this past month, Mint 13 KDE 64bit, I too thought the fonts looked awful. The Ubuntu font at 9 points looked butt ugly IMO and I adjusted all fonts in System Settings to Nimbus Sans L at 10 points. Much better.

BTW, I also have a 1680x1050 monitor and the nVidia drivers pulled the Edid and set my DPI display at 99x98 automatically.

Could you post the output of

Code: Select all

$  grep -B 1 "DPI" /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
EDIT: Also check Synaptic for 100 dpi font and install them.

EDIT 2: While I'm in System Setting changing the fonts to Nimbus Sans L, I also Enable anti-aliasing, and configure anti-aliasing to medium or whatever looks best to you. No check marks in either box.

Return to “Software & Applications”