Reset KDE desktop settings back to "factory default"??

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Reset KDE desktop settings back to "factory default"??

Postby scharkalvin on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Somehow I've managed to really screw up my desktop. The effects are subtle but very bad. I moved the task bar to the top of the screen because I wanted Cairo-Dock on the bottom, no problem there. However the task bar has become "black" and somewhat transparent, and I can't read anything on it. In addition full screen windows are now under the task bar so I can't reach the menu bar on top. Before the task bar was not part of the desktop area that windows could occupy. In addition Cairo-Dock no longer has the transparency it once did, as if KDE's compaze manager is gone. How can I restore all of my KDE settings back to 'factory' default so I can start from a know working condition. If I create a new user, that user's settings are virgin (except for the fact that my Cairo-Dock settings seem to have been inherited by the new user, along with my startup settings). This being Mint-KDE13 and I'm using the user set up during installation.
scharkalvin
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Reset KDE desktop settings back to "factory default"??

Postby kc1di on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:38 am

hi scharkalvin,

here what I would try.
Go to menu system settings >Desktop Effects click on that at the bottom of the pop up there is a tab that says defaults click that one. then hit apply.
Next go to system setting > Window Behavior do the same thing see if that will not restore things to normal.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
LinuxMint 17.1 Cinnamon/Mate
kc1di
Level 7
Level 7

Postby CaptHilts on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:19 am

before you are going to do that, just back it up:

go to your home directory /home/"yourusername" and then show the hidden files/folders (alt+.) then look for the folder .kde4 (/home/user/.kde4). Back it up. Then delete that folder. Either log out / in or reboot. KDE is back to factory, however all the plasmoids you have downloaded via the download manager will also be gone.

Cheers
Captn
CaptHilts
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Bizzerk on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 pm

I was in the same boat did about the same thing... Thanks CaptHilts your suggestion did work reset everything...

before you are going to do that, just back it up:

go to your home directory /home/"yourusername" and then show the hidden files/folders (alt+.) then look for the folder .kde4 (/home/user/.kde4). Back it up. Then delete that folder. Either log out / in or reboot. KDE is back to factory, however all the plasmoids you have downloaded via the download manager will also be gone.
Bizzerk
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE