CUPS print to pdf not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Post by NiksaVel »

same problem here... it just isn't working no matter what I try to do...

first of all, you should change the driver for the printer from raw to generic/postscript... than it will stop trying to hold back jobs, but still nothing gets generated ... ???? help :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

This seams to be KDE specific, cause under Gnome it works like a charm, so maybe some reconfiguration needs to be done under KDE... :?:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

CJCorcoran wrote:Hello,

I seem to have an issue with the CUPS print to pdf function. If I try to print a file, it doesn't show up in my /home/username/documents folder. If I check the printer's status, it shows that the job is being held. If I instead check the "print to file" box beside it, it will allow me to save the file, but as a postscript file. Can you guys think of any solutions to remedy this problem?

--Chris

same here. but in printer selection there's also a choice for "print to file(pdf)"
that works like a charm!
here's a screen shot of what I mean:
pdf.png
cheers,

Deadguy
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...

I can also confirm that cups-pdf is working properly in the gnome release.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everytning just right... :evil:
-Clem
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

NiksaVel wrote:yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...
I did not realize that :(

NiksaVel wrote: I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everything just right... :evil:
I'd like to know as well because now this is going to bug me :?

edit: works fine in gnome for me as well. very weird :?
Last edited by deadguy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

deadguy wrote:
NiksaVel wrote:yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...
I did not realize that :(

NiksaVel wrote: I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everything just right... :evil:
I'd like to know as well because now this is going to bug me :?
Dito! :cry:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Man, I hate unresolved threads...

The workaround in Firefox is to select the "Print to File" option. It will allow you to then select either post-script or pdf. Selecting PDF will let you choose the folder and filename to save under. Works perfect here.

--Akshun J
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I hope that isn't a bug (that's part of the things we test so I'm surprised to see it here). Check /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf, there should be an "Out" line defining the destination. The value should be your Documents folder (by default in Ubuntu it's "PDF".. and that doesn't work).

I should really check that myself but I've switched to x64 to run tests before the release..

Clem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

This was tested. deadguy has the solution.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I see this post has been resurrected so I thought I'd try it in Elyssa and,
I had the same results..... "print to pdf" works fine in Elyssa Gnome but, not in Elyssa KDE.

clem wrote:

Check /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf, there should be an "Out" line defining the destination. The value should be your Documents folder (by default in Ubuntu it's "PDF".. and that doesn't work).

I checked this in Elyssa KDE and the Out path is set correctly.

However,
akshunj wrote:The workaround in Firefox is to select the "Print to File" option. It will allow you to then select either post-script or pdf. Selecting PDF will let you choose the folder and filename to save under. Works perfect here.

akshunj's Firefox workaround is good enough for me :D

Post by Guest »

Easiest solution is to delete the "Print to PDF" printer and re-create it using the Add Printer wizard. When I create the CUPS-PDF printer (in other distros), I always use the Generic Postscript printer. No problems in past and it does work with latest KDE version of Mint.
dafi

Post by dafi »

I created the Print-to-PDF Printer using the Printer Wizard, but FF crashes, when I select Print from the File Menu.
And it uses >50% of my CPU all the time with the same tabs that were open before the upgrade in FF2 O.O confused?

Return to “Software & Applications”