KDE 4.9.2 issue? Extreme CPU loading on simple actions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David Mitchell

KDE 4.9.2 issue? Extreme CPU loading on simple actions

Post by David Mitchell »

I'm about two-and-a-half weeks into being a Linux Mint user. I added the Kubuntu backports repository to get KDE updates, and had no problems with 4.9 (or 4.9.1?) — it seemed noticeably better. However, I seem to be having problems with 4.9.2.

Firstly, the update manager locked up a couple of times before it managed to install correctly. Second, now that it has installed, simple actions like clicking a menu button or right-clicking for a context menu in applications such as Firefox and Thunderbird now send three CPU cores to 100% for ten or fifteen seconds. It's been locking up for a while after login, too.

I'm tempted to try to force reinstallation of everything related to KDE in Synaptic Package Manager, but that seems a bit risky, so I'm asking for advice first. And no... I don't have a backup! :oops:

Edit: I forgot to say, I'm running Mint 13 64-bit. Also, I noticed something odd in Synaptic: mint-meta-kde is marked as upgradeable, even though the current and available versions are the same, and under dependencies, it notes that it both conflicts with and replaces mint-meta-kde64. Is that an indication that there's a problem with that package, or is that normal once you install KDE updates?

Second edit: How can four CPU cores be pinned at 100% when the process table is showing 7-15% CPU usage (adding up top processes sorted by CPU %)? The system locked up for about half an hour until I started closing stuff at random....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SalineBoy

Re: KDE 4.9.2 issue? Extreme CPU loading on simple actions

Post by SalineBoy »

David
I've noticed the same. It has frustrated me so much, having lost documents due to lockups, that I have done a complete reinstall. A drastic measure I know, but, it was either that or I was going to drop kick the machine out the window!!!

I would be interested in hearing about a more measured approach!!

Regards
Cerule

Re: KDE 4.9.2 issue? Extreme CPU loading on simple actions

Post by Cerule »

I've been using 4.9.2 for my ~5 year old desktop computer and laptop for a while with no such or other issues so far (fingers crossed). They are dualcore intel 1.9 ghz and 2.8 ghz systems and cpu loads seem normal,
about the same as 4.8.5. ofc I don't mean the latest kde couldn't be the cause of your problems.

Return to “Software & Applications”