Mint 14 KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colyn

Re: Mint 14 KDE?

Post by colyn »

cavedweller wrote:Sceen locker require a password even if it is not ticked in the settings and you have it set to use screen saver.
I've not had this issue. I tried it with and without the box being ticked and it works like it should..
cavedweller

Post by cavedweller »

It is a known KDE upstream issue. If you installed by using backprots and apt-get upgrade. Go ahead and apt-get dist-upgrade.

It is a built in security feature KDE is adding to kscreenlocker that has some bugs.

I've boosted Mint 14 to Raring withh 4.9.95 issue is still there. I'm thinking about doing a clean kubuntu raring install and see if it is there are only showing up in upgrade installs.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Another flawless Mint installation. Good job guys.
Linux User #384279
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

KDE 4.9.3 works flawlessly in Mint 14. So even if 4.9.95 did work right, which it doesn't, what could it possibly do any better?
I don't get it. :roll:
cavedweller

Post by cavedweller »

BubbaBlues wrote:KDE 4.9.3 works flawlessly in Mint 14. So even if 4.9.95 did work right, which it doesn't, what could it possibly do any better?
I agree. I am running 4.9.4 on mine and am not going to worry about what is coming down the road until it's here and running right. Over 10 installs in the las 4 days messing with 4.9.95 trying to get it to work right. I'm getting to old for that. So I will just run updates for awhile and maybe test it after Mint 15 or Kubuntu 13.04 are released.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

The reason I use Mint int the first place is because it's virtually bug free. I hate bugs! So why in the world would i deliberately
install something that's full of bugs? Nope, I'm way too anal about everything being just right. 8)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Running KDE 4.9.4 here with no bugs or problems. I will just hold off on KDE 4.10 until it's ready. I did add a ppa to fix the bugs with VLC and since doing so I have had no problems with it. Everything works so perfectly, I might as well be patient for KDE 4.10. :D
colyn

Post by colyn »

BubbaBlues wrote:KDE 4.9.3 works flawlessly in Mint 14. So even if 4.9.95 did work right, which it doesn't, what could it possibly do any better?
What issues have you had with 4.9.95?

I've been running it with no issues so far. It runs silky smooth and DigiKam 3 is the best version so far..
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

colyn wrote:

I've been running it with no issues so far. It runs silky smooth and DigiKam 3 is the best version so far..
I haven't tried it. But every time I have tried a rc kde I have had bugs. I hate bugs. 4.9.3 and 4.9.4 are pretty close to
perfection, so you know, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it? But that's just me. What I want to know is ... If 4.9.95 is working
without bugs, what's better about it than say 4.9.4? If it's just digikam, then I can wait, because I use digikam about two or
three times a year.
colyn

Post by colyn »

BubbaBlues wrote:
colyn wrote:

I haven't tried it. But every time I have tried a rc kde I have had bugs. I hate bugs. 4.9.3 and 4.9.4 are pretty close to
perfection, so you know, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it? But that's just me. What I want to know is ... If 4.9.95 is working
without bugs, what's better about it than say 4.9.4? If it's just digikam, then I can wait, because I use digikam about two or
three times a year.
Overall I'd have to say it is a bit snappier. I haven't found any bugs so until I do I'll use it..

I use DigiKam on a daily basis so the newest version comes in handy for me.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Cool! Well that's the great thing about Linux. (especially Mint) Anyone can get whatever works best for them. 8)
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Well I am obsessive compulsive with new stuff. I put Kubuntu 12.10 on a test machine and I didn't have any problems with KDE 4.10. But I don't want to hose my Mint 14 KDE installation because it just works so excellent. I only use Windows when I have to at work. I also put Windows 8 on a test machine. I read all the stuff in the press about it. But I always have to find out for myself. 8 is awfull. I know there are pundits saying desktop linux is dead. I hope Mint picks up more inertia and gets installed on more machines. I even installed Steam on a couple of Mint 14 KDE machines. Gaming on 14 is great using this distro. Mint with KDE can be a great OS for desktops and laptops. Heck, I have seen some of the ARM based tablets running Plasma. Now that is really cool too. Have the Mint people ever done an ARM port? That might be interesting.

BTW, I also connected my iPhone to Mint 14 KDE through Bluetooth. Works pretty good too!
Alejandro24

Post by Alejandro24 »

Hi, I've been using KDE 14 RC, but now there is the official release. I have applied all the updates, but how do I know if I'm using the RC or the official release?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Alejandro24, I have done the same as you. The only difference between the release candidate and the final is the Plymouth theme and I am fine with that. I did install the final release on my laptop and both installs work perfectly.
Alejandro24

Post by Alejandro24 »

exploder wrote:Alejandro24, I have done the same as you. The only difference between the release candidate and the final is the Plymouth theme and I am fine with that. I did install the final release on my laptop and both installs work perfectly.
And, what supposed to be the difference with the plymouth theme between the RC and the Official Release?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The plymouth theme in the final release is blue instead of green.
goodwish

Post by goodwish »

Jose Manuel wrote:I tested the version of Linux Mint 14 KDE RC. It really works great, even to be an RC version. The two hours I was testing in virtual machine, and really did not give me any problems, not had any unexpected crash. Fantastic version, not only change the 13 that I have installed on my machine because the 13 is LTS ..... But undoubtedly, is excellent !!!!
I'm hoping it's a great experience , I am currently downloading mine here 64bit version of KDE in South Africa :D
podagee

Post by podagee »

i am currently running mint 14 KDE x64 and i have installed KDE 4.9.5 and it does work flawlessly so far.no problems at the moment and it is very snappy.im loving it.
ruel24

Post by ruel24 »

exploder wrote:The plymouth theme in the final release is blue instead of green.
The blue look is something I don't like about Mint's KDE edition. Why is it blue? I really wish they could take the look of the Cinnamon edition and carry it across all versions. I love that dark theme with the green. It's signature Linux Mint.
wyz

Post by wyz »

The other day I burned an iso and installed Linux Mint 14 KDE 64bit on an empty hard drive. I then upgraded to KDE 4.9.5 and have been running it around the clock since, adding programs and tweaking the desktop. WOW!! This is one fine KDE release, and I'm just having a blast playing with it. The developers should be proud for producing something so stable and polished. It's a gem! While I may have upgraded to 4.9.5 I won't push it and install 4.9.95 as it's just not worth the risk. The stability that I have now is something I don't want to gamble with. On this issue I think I'll stay pat until I'm confident all the wrinkles are ironed out, and that won't be until the next official release.

Return to “Software & Applications”